Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

1.6 diesel . intermittent power loss won't rev over 3000. if

Customer Question

1.6 diesel . intermittent power loss won't rev over 3000. if engine stopped and restarted problem goes away and often goes away without stopping. Changed fuel filter and problem went away for about 300 miles
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good evening to you Ok are there engine warming messages or cog warning lights that come on when this fault happens Is there any smoke etc from the exhaust when this occurs Kind regards Brian
Also what model and year of ford do you have
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No lights no smoke.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Focus 2007 1.6 diesel
Hi thanks
Ok as the fault is intermitent it makes it a bit more difficult to diagnose
Ideally the first thing you must have done is a diagnostic fault code check as this is imperative to correctly diagnosing this issue as this can be caused by several different sub systems
the most common cause of your issue is a faulty EGR valve ( common on the 1.6 tdci ) these suffer from moisture ingress into the pins of the EGR valve
When it jams open it causes excess exhaust gas to choke the engine and limit the rpm
Other issues that can cause this are faulty glow plugs (this causes a limp mode to be induced )
Also Any air leaks in the turbo /intercooler system would cause this and log an underboost code
Thus why a relavent fault code is imperative due to the complex engine management system
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue going forward /after having a fault code check done please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you
If you are satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
We can continue on this same post
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I've got a fault code checker so I'll look for code. Is it of any significance that the fault disappeared for several hundred miles after I changed the fuel filter?
Hi there
It could be a coincidence but more clarify will be shown once we have the fault code moving forward as the 1.6 tdci has a very complex engine management dusyem and many systems can cause this concern
Also in most cases with intermitent faults I note the code,s then erase them and recheck once fault spears again the reason being if some fault codes are logged from previous repairs it can send you down the wrong route
Kind regards ***** ***** and I look forward to your reply
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi codes are P0120 and P2002 throttle sensor & dpf I think
Hi there thanks
Ok the p0120 is a throttle postion /pedal postion code
The p2002 code is for DPF pressure below threshold
I would erase these codes and recheck when fault happens again as I suspect it may be the dpf issue that is causing this
Things to visually check for are to ensure the 2 hoses connected between the DPF and DPF pressure sensor are not split as this causes no /low pressure to be detected by the sensor if they are ok I would dusiextca faulty dpf pressure sensor (we can run so wrests on the sensor with a multimeter
But firstly I would erase the codes and reappraise when issue happens again.
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thanks