Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Sean where does my sony sat nav on my focus titanium Mk 3 estate pick up its signal fro

Customer Question

Hi Sean where does my sony sat nav on my focus titanium Mk 3 estate pick up its signal from. Its showing Navigation not available.SD card is in. Does it pick up from the FM/DAB aerial on the roof at the back or from somewhere at the front of the vehicle. Keith
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 10 months ago.
Hi there Keith good afternoon to you Ok ok is your concern that the day nav isn't working (sending you wrong routes etc ) Are you asking where it picks up the GPS (satellites from ) Kind regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it doesnt work at all. when I press Navigation or Map it tells me "Navigation not available. On occasions it says
"Data error check SD card" (done that) I have re set it also through the menu options. There is a screen of four items: Navigation, CD, Radio, Auxillary. Navigation is the only option that is not illuminated therefore I suppose not available.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am wondering if the aerial is at fault but I have checked the connections and they all seem secure. I have not checked behind the console though for any loose connection
Hi there Keith sorry for the delayed response
Ok the mod common fault lies with a faulty gps antenna (aieral base)or more rarely the power supply to the antenna
The sat nav system need to pick up a minimum of 6-8 satellites for it to work correctly you can check this by going into the navigation menu or by pressing nav+ many and scroll to GPS information
Yours will be picking up zero thus why it Won't operate
You should have 5 volts at the centre pin of the gps cable this comes from the audio unit
If you have the 5 volts then the fault lies with the antenna base
To resolve the issue you need to replace the gps antenna base /Aieral base
This is a 5 minute job
Pop the interior light down and remove the 25 mm torx screw then remove the antenna /mast together (as the mast may be seized into the base )
NOTE: however on some models /build dates ford have now modified the parts that are avaiable (basically you can't buy the antenna. Itself anymore )
The reason for this is the GPS antenna is now fitted to the windscreen inside the vehicle due to problems occurred over the years of moisture ingress internal of the antenna
The new parts require a new internal GPS antenna /cover ,Aieral base , new cables
We won't know if this is the case until you contact your local ford parts department or if you wish I can clarify this for you(would need registration number )
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Keith please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Any postive feedback /bonuses are greatly appreciated
Brian
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The operation you describe isnt on my focus. Menu doesnt allow me access into navigation details like you describe. There is no Nav+ on my console.
Can you try holding NAV and menu
Hi there sorry I thought it was the earlier system
can you press nav and scroll down into special functions and select GPS info
If it says postion cannot be determined the fault lies with the GPS antenna
This will be located at the rear of the vehicle (roof )
The GPS antenna ford part number is (###) ###-####and price is £41.58+ vat
Sorry for any confusion Keith there is so many different units and setups on focus
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian