Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a ford s-max 2007 automatic 20ltr diesel. Recently the,

I have a ford s-max 2007 automatic 20ltr diesel. Recently the, what I think is called the gear selctor switch broke of and the sping came out. I have looked and noticed it has broken away from the hinge so I can not refit the button unless I can get hold of that particular part.
I would need to know where I can get that switch and how to remove the old one and fit the new one? For example some diagrams would be useful in this job.
The alternative approach would be to replace the gear lever knob, again I would need to know how I remove the old one and refit the new one? preferring diagrams again if possible.
Remember it is an automatic, there is a selector switch, so I'm unsure how this works when dismantling the knob from the stick and refitting a new one for example.
Hope you can help and many thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good evemingvtobyiuevening and sorry for the delayed response Ok is it just the gear knob with selector button you wish to replace Regards Brian
Hi there good evening to you and sorry for the delayed response Is it just the gear Knob with selector button you wish to replace Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes that's right
Hi there sorry for The deist I don't seem to be receiving reply notifications Ok the gear knob replacement only takes a few minutes to carry out I have attached images showing the procedure as I find this is easier than trying to describe it to customers and allows you to see the procedure If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you for that information and diagrams. I just want to check there is nothing else I need to be aware of, like is there any rod type thing that pushes up and down as there is a switch on the gear knob isent they, does any thing else need detaching or replacing when changing this gear knob? I've noticed on the one already in the car there is a white rod that moves up and down clearly for the use of the button. Is there any other procedure's involved other than what you have described that I need to be aware of at all? many thanks
Hi there
No this is the complete procedure for replacing the gear Knob
The white rod runs up through the centre of the gear stick rod
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Ok, and can you show me on the internet, where I can obtain the replacement part at all?
many thanks for your help,
Hi there
Do you have your registration number there so I can check exact part avaiability with my parts department
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes its. RA07ZCF
Hi there
I have had a look online and can't seem
To locate this part
I suspect this to be a factory only part which means its only avaiable from ford due to it meting Fromm automatic Varient
The ford part number is(###) ###-####- price is £98.42+ vat
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you for that, I just wanted to check I had ordered the correct one. ok once the item has arrived I will carry out the advice to replace and then rate you accordingly. in the meantime thank you for your advice on the matter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Just whilst we are on the subject of cars. Can you show me how I gain access to the battery and the type of new battery I would need for this vehicle, Also would it be safe for the cars cpu to disconnect the battery and replace or do I need to back up the power to do this? Many thanks
Hi there no worries
The battery is located at the passengers rear of the engine bay
You need to remove the air filter box to gain access to the battery
Regards Brian
Image Attachment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** type of battery required? If you can help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and will disconnecting damaged the car cpu or will I need to back up the power whilst I change the battery?
Hi there sorry
Ok it is a 700 amp silver calcium battery that is installed to your s max
You will not cause any adverse effects by disconnecting the battery
However you will need the radio code and will also need to reprogramme the time and date and the one touch Window function
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much for that information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok..now the subject of parking sensors..I have noticed my parking sensors are intermittent. .mostly not working and emit a long bleep when using..my questions are; 1.how can I diognose the problem?
2. How do I know which sensor is which ,are they all seperate parts and types or compatable in any area of the car?
3. is there a tool I can purchase that can assist in diagnostic tests?
Many thanks for your continued advice3.
Does the parking assist switch flash 3 times when you select reverse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's a good question. Ok as soon as I get the chance I will test that and get back to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, No flashing at all, just one long continued beep
Hi there good evening to you
Ok this indicates the system is operating correctly however one of the parking aid sensors is detecting an obstacle
Either a towbar causes this or more commonly a sensor
You need to inspect the parking sensors (the face of the sensor ) for any bubbling /corrosion
The 2 front inner sensors are more prone to this due to there location
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank ypu..and are all the sensors different part numbers or for the particular area of the car..for example rear outer right rear inner right and so on? So I know how to get a replacement
Hi there
From memory the 2 front inner And 2 rear inner are the same and outer ones differ I would need to double check this for you tommorow if you require confirmation
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please that would help a lot..and thanks for being such a useful adviser
Hi there no worries I will post back tomorrow
If you can visually check the sensor faces for corrosion to see if any are corroded
Regards Brian
Hi there good morning to you
Ok I have checked the parking sensors we spoke of
The two from inner sensors are the same - Ford part number -(###) ###-####
The two front outer sensors are the same - Ford part number - (###) ###-####
The rear sensors are all the same - Ford part number -(###) ###-####
They are all the same price £22.10+ vat per sensor
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Any postive feedback or bonuses are greatly appreciated
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks and all the same part numbers yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok..almost done. .the smax is a diesel as you know..lately it has been a bit moody in the mornings or when first starting..sputtering and grunting and can sonetimes cut of..couldthis be a weak battery..manifold or glowplugs maybe? Ive ordered a new battery and need to fit but id like to know what this could be if you can help..many thanks
The rear sensors are all the same
the front inner and outer are different
If you are having starting issues on first start only it could be down to a defective glow plug or air ingress into the fuel system it's difficult to say untill you have the fault in front of you in the workshop
if it had been cranking slow then speeding up then this indicates a battery issue
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rightio then..arl have a look..thank again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi got a bit of a problem. cant find my code for radio, is there anyway of backing up the power whilst I swap battery over?
Is there something I can buy or do to help me with this.
Hi there
I can give you your radio code
Ok in order for me to generate your radio code i will need the serial number of the audio unit as there is no other way to generate the code
Most ford audio units have a serial number self read function built into the unit
If you press and hold buttons 1&6 or 2&6 (older units the unit will run through a self test and should run through various displays and display the serial number
The serial number will look like this - example
V015638 or M048725
If you can get back to me with this number I will generate your radio code immediately
If the self test function doesn't work and the unit doesn't display the serial number then the audio unit WILL need to be removed /popped out to read the serial number from the side of the unit
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, this system is one of those nx touchscreen type, is there a way of doing this with that unit?
Hi there is it the SD card to the left of screen if unsure can you post a photo of the unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is what the unit looks like buddy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's not the actual one in my car but its a picture of the same identical unit
ok I will need the serial number From The side of the unit to generate your code
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rightio bud, so if I go ahead tomorrow with switching battery over, and then, if I haven't recovered the code from paperwork I will get you the number you need chap. lol hope you can get me a code, Im worried about it.Many thanks, ***** ***** you have provided brilliant advice to me from start to finish, and I am going to rate you highly at the end as you deserve a good rate. thanks buddy.
Hi there no worries
If you can post a picture of the side of
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi there, well good news I managed to find the radio code so all good changed battery.
Just back on the subject of the parking sensors, can I ask, are there any cheaper but reasonable quality compatible parking sensors like on ebay or amazon for example? If so would you be kind enough to point them out maybe or tell me how I would know by a number of some sort?
And do you know what other cars fit ford galaxy mk2 2003 wheels and smax mk1 2007|?
Many thanks for offering to generate a code, that is very useful for future reference also.kind regards
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Oh and I wanted to ask, any way of getting that stereo to stream music? it accepts Bluetooth phone but not music, seems strange. Alternatively, is it possible to hardwire a Bluetooth unit into the glove box with an input to the aux and them wireless connection from phone to that unit? Just trying to find a unit or circuit that allows me to power from the car directly rather than the phone or cigarette lighter socket. thanks buddy
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I found this unit for the Bluetooth issuehttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Bluetooth-Receiver-3-5mm-Jack-Convert-AUX-to-Wireless-Music-Audio-Streaming-/371533209011?hash=item56811addb3:g:9~QAAOSwpRRWmQZl
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 12 months ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you
Ok the parking sensors will be ford only parts £22.10 each
You won't be able to buy these from an auto parts store etc
The Galaxy mk2 is a Volkswagen Sharran /Seat Alhambra so they would fit these vehicles
The smax wheels would fit S-max /Mondeo and Galaxy (2007onwards )
Regarding your audio unit concern Bluetooth streaming was not available when these vehicles were built
You would need to either have an aux port installed (this is in glove box on smax ) and may already be there
Or fird list a USB kit for most models which means you insert a USB stick which then plays through your audio system
You will not be able to stream music on this vehicle with any compatible ford product
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Yet again you strip yourself out with excellence. thank you for that info, you'll be pleased to know I have now replaced the gear knob, I did however find that I had to depress the switch to allow it to connect up after a couple of attempts but all seems fine with that.
Just on the subject of that nx sat nav, I've heard there is a kit to make it into a video/tv player, or rear view camera for example any ideas?thank you again
Hi there good evening to you
Ok yes you have t depress the lever/switch on the knob per the images
Regarding your audio issue this isn't something I have experience with as I don't advise retro fitting units due the complex wiring and communications network
I do know you can by tv/DVD players but is not something I have had dealings with
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
not a problem bud, thank you anyway.