Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

My 2004 ford fiesta 1400cc engine idles at 1500 rpm ! What

My 2004 ford fiesta 1400cc engine idles at 1500 rpm ! What as caused this and how can I fix it ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response Ok what happens if you Rev the vehicle hard and allow it to come back to idle does it take a while to come down Does the vehicle drive ok Are any warning lights etc on Regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine runs ok just idles at 1500 or up to 1700
Hi there thanks
Ok the most common cause of this issue is an undetected air leak at the inlet manifold or pipework
This causes excess air to be drawn into the engine
This air is known as undetected air as the PCM / (powertrain Control Module ) doesn't receive the relavent information from the air intake sensor in order to control the idle )
So the first thing would be to check for any leaks in and around the inlet manifold (hairline cracks or splits in the plastic welds of the manifold are the most common on the 1.4 zetec Varient
In rare cases the throttle body can cause idle issues but this is normally combined with an EAC fail message in the dash and engine management light concern
I would start by checking for an air leak (listen for hissing where by the air is being sucked in )
We use brake cleaner to spray the suspect areas
If there is a leak the revs raise even further when the brake cleaner is drawn into the engine
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok,will look for a leak and let you know .