Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Interior light central locking only works when engines running

Customer Question

interior light central locking only works when engines running on mk 7 transit
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 10 months ago.
Hi there good evening to you Ok the first thing to check and most common issue is s faulty rear battery (there is 2 batteries under the drivers seat ) After switching the vehicle off after s minute or so check the voltage across the rear battery we find the voltage is around 4-6 volts indicating a faulty battery The rear battery is used for the vehicles electrical systems The front one is for staring but they are linked do when the vehicle starts the charging vintage runs through both Batteries thus all the systems will work If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening Any postive feedback /bonuses are greatly appreciated Brian
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
already checked that and they are both fine
If you dissconnect the rear battery terminals what is the reading across the battery as they are linked we see the rear voltage is ok with the terminals connected as its stealing power from the front battery
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i swaped the battery over and still had the same problem
Hi there thanks I just liked to endure this isn't the case
Ok to confirm it is only the interior lights and central locking that is inoperative until you start the van up
Does the cluster illuminate when you enter the vehicle
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
and the stereo clock always reset to 1200 but it remembers all preset stations but i have to unlock van with the key
what do u mean by cluster?
The instrument cluster where mileage is should become slice when you open the door
The instrument cluster where mileage shows should become alivevwhen you open the door
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no not until i put the key in the ignition
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
any ideas?
Hi there
I have came across this twice (both times it was battery related ) as you have swapped them this can be ruled out
This will be down to a possible issue with the switch over relay in the fuse box under the drivers seat
Can you check fuse 72 in the fuse box behind the glove box (does this have voltage to it with ignition off
Also check fuses 7 and fuse 2 (large 60 amp fuses ) for voltage (at the fuse box under drivers seat
Also I assume the interiors stop working as soon as you switch the ignition off
If you can leave this with me I will look through some diagrams and post back tommorow
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi yes the light does switch of as soon as i switch the ignition off and i have replaced the switch over unit, ill leave it with you c what you can find out and ill check 72 tomorrow
thanks chris
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 9 months ago.
Hi Chris good afternoon to you How did you get on with the advice I gave you regarding your interior light issue Regards Brian