Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Just had the battery warning light come on - Transit connect 58 plate... seemd that I may

Customer Question

Just had the battery warning light come on - Transit connect 58 plate... seemd that I may need to investigate the 3 wire loom from the alt for corrosion. All other aspects work OK but I haven't yet checked alt output with my multi meter (it is dark and cold outside).. Do Ford provide a replacement 3 wire loom if so what's the part number (and - forgive the pun - the lead time).
Assuming alt output is OK what's the danger of continuing to drive...
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good evening to you Ok the most common issue is corrosion on the smart charge control wiring This short loom is avaiable seperatly and tajes 5 minutes to replace I will need to recheck the exact part number and price as its changed a few times over the years From memory its around £25 If the issue is corroded smart charge wiring the alternator will still charge the battery at around 13.8 volts so it's ok to drive If the alternator is faulty the output voltage across the battery will be around 11.5 -12 volts and if you continue to drive the vehicle the battery won't charge therefore the voltage will drop eventually and the vehicle will lose all electrics and cut out due to excessivly low battery voltage If you need anymore help or advice on issue please let me know If you have been completely satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening Any positive feedback /bonuses are greatly appreciated Brian