Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 2007 ford galaxy does not start first time on a cold

Customer Question

Hi, my 2007 ford galaxy does not start first time on a cold start. When eventually starts it blows out massive amounts of smoke. Once engine is warm it starts right away. I have changed the glow plugs. Also had to replace turbo twice due to vains getting sticky because of carbon.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry forgot to mention injectors have also been replaced
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello I'd 1st check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it. I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK. also using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you