Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a C-max '06 with 35k miles on the clock. A couple of

I have a C-max '06 with 35k miles on the clock. A couple of weekends ago the dashboard starting misbehaving - flashing lights, 'Engine Systems Failure', switching to low performance mode, etc. More recently the extreme symptoms have disappeared and I am left with:
- Speedo starts at 140mph and moves clockwise from there with increasing road speed
- Petrol gauge beyond full
- Engine temp always shows maximum
- Radio is 2 days and 5 hours slow
Other than the above, performance does not seem to be impaired.
Are these symptoms sufficient for you to diagnose the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good evening to you Ok is your vehicle the 1.6 petrol VarientWhen the fault happened did the red immobildor light start flashing along with messages such as engine systems fault /transmission failure etc Kind regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - all of that. It is 1.6 Petrol and I did get lots of flashing lights and messages (can't remember all of the messages). It now seems to have settled down to just the symptoms I listed. The speedo, fuel gauge, and temperature gauge all start in the wrong place (i.e pretty much on max) but the rev counter is OK. Also, the fuel countdown on the small panel looks like it is still calculating correctly. Other than that it seems to run OK.
Hi there , thanks Ok your fault is caused by a loss of communication between the pcm and clusterThe fault can be the cluster , the pcm or the 2 CAN. Bus wires between them Using my extensive experience of this issue and your description of the issue I would strongly suspect a faulty instrument cluster (I don't believe in sending these for repair as I have in the past only for it to be the route cause of the fault This seems to be more common on the 1.6 petrol Varients for some reason The instrument cluster is the gateway between the high and mid speed can bus communications systems (data network ) This can systems controls the various electronic control components of the vehicle I have personally diagnosed many of these cluster issues with the exact same symptoms as yours Customers think how can the cluster cause this issue because it's just a cluster but in reality the cluster is a complex module that exchanges high speed data with several other modules connected on the can bus system and is also the main Immobilsor compinent The fault with these clusters seems to be an internal breakdown of the can bus system (connection issues on the circuit board ) In my experience of this fault I would definitely susupected an internal cluster fault If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brian - thanks for your answer - I guess a new instrument cluster is a Ford only job?
Hi there The new cluster must be programmed to the vehicle and then paired to the immobildor system using ford approved ids software to carry out the programming and pairing of the cluster You also need 2 avaiable keys to complete prifrking successfully Kind regards ***** *****