Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have an electrical fault on the fuel system, the fuse is

Customer Question

I have an electrical fault on the fuel system, the fuse is OK and pump replaced. But pump fails to run
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 9 months ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you Ok what model/engine Varient and year of ford do you have regards Brian
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
mk 1 1.6 zetec
Hi there thanksdo you have your registration number there so I can pull the wiring up and give you more tests /information to resolve this issue Regards Brian
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
X177lkj
Hi there thanks Ok can you leave this with me and I'll look through diagrams and reply to you with some tests Regards Brian
Hi there and sorry for the delayed response Ok the fuel pump is earthed at pin 5 (black wire ) of the pump multiplug and is powered at pin 1(green /orange wire ) it it is powered from the fuel pump relay K4 in the battery junction fuse boxThe relay pins are as follows (all in battery fuse box )Pin 1 - powered from fuse 9 through relay K13Pin 2 - earth from PCM /ECU to activate relay (black /blue wire )Pin3 - powered from fuse 12Pin 5 - power out to the fuel pump (this goes through the fuel cut off switch to the pump ) I have also attached images of the diagram /fuel pump relay K4 location and fuel cut off switch location (passengers foot well ) Hopefully this will be enough information to resolve the issue If you need anymore help or advice on issue please let me know If you have been completely satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening Any postive feedback /bonuses are kindly appreciated Brian
Hi there ,good afternoon to youHow did you get on with the advice I have given you Regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. we have been working through the suggestions that you made but are still unable to get the fuel pump to run, we have only 6.8 volts on the pump feed at the multi plug, would that be what you would expect? as I would think it should be 12volts. I am now thinking along the lines of a problem in the cable supplying the pump unit. So now I have had to book it into an auto electrician now as I need the car for work.
Hi there good evening to you Ok if you are only receiving 6-7 volts at the pump this indicates a wiring issue as you are losing 6 volts either from a poor connection on the wiring or corrosion I would half the system by checking for 12 volts at the fuel cut off switch if it is present then you know the fault is the wiring between the switch and pump The wiring tests should always be done with the multiplugs connected as this loads the wire and gives true results If you need anymore help or advice on issue please let me know If you have been completely satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER as this helps build my online profile Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening Brian
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 8 months ago.
Hi there ,good evening to you How did you get on with our fuel pump issue If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know If you were satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE REMEMBER AND RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening Brian