Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a ford focus I have a alternator breakdown .I have stripped

Customer Question

I have a ford focus I have a alternator breakdown .I have stripped it down as far as the bracket ,taken out all the bolts,, but just doesn't seem to want to come off,it is loose ,it moves up and down but will not leave the block.it is 2007 diesel duratorq 1800 estate.hope you can help. is there such a thing as a locating pin on it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello there's a locating ring dowel around the bolt that its pivoting about to remove the alternator if you can view it from the top you should see that there's small gap between 1 of the mounting lugs and the engine block with the end of the ring dowel filling the gap usually you can rock the alternator longitudinally / along its axis to push the dowel back into its hole and so release the alternator
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Mat have located which bolt hole its caught on,cannot make any impression it is the bolt that is hidd en up by the belt end is this the usual spot.I have made a metal drift to knock it back is this acceptable as I cannot get any tools at the back of it, also is it a two man job.Gordon.
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
hello Gordon if you can use your drift to push the alternator back then this is acceptablea 2nd pair of hands can help to support the alternator during this process but its not vital
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi matt has the dowel got to come out the same way as the bolt or can knock it through.GB
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello Gordon no, the dowel can be knocked through or pushed back , so it can move either way