Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Ford Focus C Max 2005 2.0 Diesel TDCi The story so far: The

Ford Focus C Max 2005 2.0 Diesel TDCi
The story so far:
The problem started with air in the fuel lines and poor starting. The injectors were found to be faulty and were refurbished. When refitted the car ran very rough. After having the injectors checked the nozzles need replacing and it was determined that they had been damaged by rubbish in the fuel lines/tank. It appears that the previous owner had run the car on petrol instead of diesel. Since then the fuel tank and lines have been flushed, the fuel filter has been replaced and a refurbished pump has been fitted. The first refurbished pump had a faulty solenoid and has now been replaced by a second refurbished pump.
Before starting, the fuel system was primed with a hand pump and the car eventually started and ran for about 1/2 a mile before stopping and refusing to start. Now the car will crank over but will not start. The EGR value has been removed and clean out, the battery has been charged and the throttle on the air valve has been cleaned out but still no joy. The vehicle has got a DTC which is P0380. The glow plugs have been changed and the wiring has been checked.
Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car has also been fitted with a new alternator.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensorIf the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, it has had new glow plug fitted,the dtc p0380 would this cause it not to start or just poor starting, I can not carry out a leak back test as I can not get it started .
It is now just turning over and not even trying to start .I have rebleed the fuel system but still not starting. Have reread the dtc and only p0380 is present and when cancelled it coms back on .
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello that P0380 code is a problem with the glow plug circuit ?So this could well be the issue as if the glow plugs aren't getting enough current then it will struggle to start
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the late response , I have checked the go plug relay , there is 12v going the relay and a good earth and 4 12v out puts going to the glow plugs . All four glow plugs have got continuity to earth,
the engine cranks over but still not trying to start it seems that the injectors are not opening. There is fuel up to the pump. What would stop the injector opening, there are no other dtc apart from p0380mark
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello a failed crank speed sensor will stop the injecttors from opening so I'd next check the condition of the wiring to the sensor and if thats OK then replace it with a new part
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt
I will give that a trymark
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Ok just get back to me on this post
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi matt
Sorry haven't got bad to you sooner found fuel pump not working at correct pressure .thanks for your help will rate you know
Mark