Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

On Mondeo 2.0l manual 2002. Intermittent fault when driving.

Customer Question

On Mondeo 2.0l manual 2002. Intermittent fault when driving. You lift off the throttle and engine speed only drops to 1500 - 1700 rpm. Depressing the clutch returns idle speed to normal. It does not sound too serious but being intermittent it is disconcerting when it happens in traffic.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 10 months ago.
Hi there ,good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response Ok so the engine is racing itself If you Rev the vehicle hard does it take longer to come to idle speed Also when you start the car from cold does it rev higher at idle Kind regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not noticed speed taking longer to return to normal.
Normal idle speed when cold is around 900 rpm. I have not noticed what it is when hot.
Idle of 1500 or more is intermittent. It has been happening for about two weeks .
It definitely happens with a cold engine. I am not sure about when the engine has warmed up
Hi there ,and just to confirm this is a 2.0tdci Regards Brian
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes, it is a 2.0tdci manual 130 Bhx made in 2002
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That should read 130bhp
Hi there thanks Ok this fault can be caused by a few different sub systems But most commonly with an intermitent high rpm (or fast rolling /racing idle ) the fault lies with the PCM software or the throttle pedal itself Thd first thing I would advise is to have the PCM software updated to the latest level using fords ids software and Jane the injector ms reprogrammed (at same time ) and the KAM (keep alive memory ) reset And monitor the issue to see if it persists If it does then it's most commonly down to a throttle potentiometer inside the throttle pedal (as these are fly by wire ) no cables If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day Brian
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Brian,
I understand. I wonder if it may be cheapest to try checking (and replacing) the potentiometer and the rest of the throttle system first. In the past problems I have seen with engine management were more commonly caused by sensors or actuators rather than software.I have just remembered that whilst in the Lake District last week there were 2 occasions on steep hills where I got a lot of brown smoke. I have not had this before with this car but conditions were tough and maybe with 120,000 miles on the clock this is fairly normal. The first time was when I changed up from first to second after going down a 25% slope on heavy engine braking. The second was going up hill when I lost revs taking a corner in too higher gear then changed down and accelerated away fairly briskly.
Does this change your thinking on the high idle problem? Or is the brown smoke something different and possibly the start of a serious problem?
I should have mentioned this along with the high idle. Sorry my memory is not so good these days,
John
Hi John thanks for the reply Ok it may be worth fitting a second hand throttle pedal (the potentiometer is intergrated in the pedal assembly The pedal is held by 3 nuts and 1 multiplug The smoke you speak of is a strange one as commonly its black ,white ,blue or greyish So would just monitor this for now If you need anymore help or advice on this issue John please let me know If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening Brian
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Brian,
Maybe the smoke is greyish. I thought it looked similar to what I have occasionally seen on older diesels when being thrashed and I would have described as brownish. I will look up grey smoke.
Thanks for your time and help. Ideally I would rate your answer after we have done the work, but I bet the website won't let me do that, in which case I will do it now.
Thanks again,
John
Hi john no worries Grayish smoke is most commonly down to small amount of oil entering the combustion chamber /exhaust I would monitor the issue firstly to see if it persists If you need anymore help or advice on this issue John going forward please let me know If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Brian
We did another test drive and a bit more thinking. We thought a faulty throttle was unlikely. Then we checked over the relevant parts and found a split in the air intake hose to the turbo charger. We will replace that tomorrow and test drive again.
John
Hi there John thanks for reply Ok the intercooler splitting us a common issue and gives you a symptom of black smoke on hard acceleration in combination with a whooshing type noise It can also flutter the revs /hesitate when driving slow in traffic but would be uncommon for the revs to race due to this Kind regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Brian
The air intake hose that split was the elbow next to the turbo.
We have replaced it and have driven the car at high revs for a few minutes, then done a test drive. The problem has gone and the car has better power at
low revs than in the recent past.
Thanks for your help. You did not solve the problem with your initial recommendations but our discussion
was useful and helped us focus on the problem..
Thanls for your time
John