Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2000 ford focus 1.6 zetec that the gauge goes into

I have a 2000 ford focus 1.6 zetec that the gauge goes into the red, the coolant pipes are cold. I have changed the thermostat, the CHT sensor, the water pump is cannot get it to function properly.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if you've replaced the thermostat, water pump and temp sensor I'd next do a 'reverse flush' remove top hose to rad and use a hosepipe to push water into the engine until you get clear water out of the radiator hose) and top up with 30-50% fresh antifreeze. Also check that the small diameter bleed hoses that run from the top of the radiator and the top of the engine aren't blocked as this allow the air to vent back to the header tank automatically.Also its possible the belt is slipping so its worth replacing its especially if the rubber ribs are cracked or it looks shiny on flat side of the belt - while its off check that the tensioner and other pulleys all spin freely the exception to this is the AC pump ( if fitted) I'd also suggest ensuring that you've got all the air out of the system as this sort of episode can leave pockets of air trapped and prevent the coolant from circulating properly. So check that the small hoses that run from the top of the engine and radiator that run back to the header / expansion tank are free flowing and not blocked If these are OK then remove the tank pressure cap and run the engine from cold with the heater set to full hot As the engine starts to warm, squeeze the large hoses running to the radiator to help displace any air - all the time keeping an eye on the level in the header tank, making sure it doesn't drop below the minimum and open any bleed screws built into the top cooling hoses - closing them off as soon as they start to gush water Once the engine is up to temperature the tank should be quite full. Switch the engine off and leave it to cool Then top up to the mark once its all cold and replace the cap
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done all that you have suggested, I can get all the hoses hot by doing this then I let it cool overnight. When I start the car the next day and go for a drive within 10 minute the gauge is back in the red zone, if I then open the bonnet and feel the hoses they are all cold, I am at my wits end with this problem and very close to scrapping the car, this problem has been going on for the past 5 weeks.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello in that case its possible that there may be a small head gasket leak thats gassing the system up and so creating an air lockso it would be worth trying a replacing the header tank cap as again you can lose coolant as steam if this is blowing off too early ( the cap should hold pressure of around 1Bar) The other thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years