Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

When removing a crankshaft position sensor is it necessary

Customer Question

when removing a crankshaft position sensor is it necessary to drop the oil ? i dont think it will be if i give the oil a minute or two to drain down to the sump but thought i would ask incase you know something i dont.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good evening to you and sorry for the delayed response Do you still require assistance with this issue Kind regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello yes I would please thanks in advance
Hi there Ok you do not need to drop the oil out to replace or remove the crankshaft sensor The crankshaft sensor isn't inside the engine it merely slides through a housing to take a pick up signal from the flywheel The crankshaft sensor is located on the rear underside of the engine next to the gearbox bell housing It is secured by 1 x 8 mm bolt remove the bolt and slide the sensor out of its housing If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know If you are satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi brian i have taken out and cleaned the sensor placed it back all the way home and the warning light stayed on but if i place it back and pull it out with the floating bolt the engine systems fault goes out whats going on there?
Hi there good evening to you and sorry for the delayed response Ok what is the actual isdue you are trying to resolve ie: why was the crankshaft sensor being replaced Kind regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car was placed on a code reader as it was displaying engine systems error and the cars dtc code gave an rpm input data as duff data the code reader showed it was p code of crank sensor so i removed the sensor to check it and cleaned it with contact cleaner refitted it and the warning was still there so i disconnected it and the car would not start so i connected it and slid it sideways (furthest away from the flywheel) and the warning went out
Hi there thanks Ok if the air gap isn't correct on these crankshaft sensors it can cause this type of issuethis would most commonly cause a starting issue or cutting out concern Just to confirm your issues at the moment is that the vehicle starts and runs ok but has an engine systems fault Regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes and the cranksensor either gives the engine systems fault or turns it off depending on how close or far away it is
Hi there thanks Ok if the sensor is adjusted outward away from flywheel does the fault clear and vehicle run perfectly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems to clear the fault yes and seems to run well too but if i run the self run dtc test using the key and set reset
it still gives fault codes?
Hi thanks Ok if adjusting the air gap between the crankshaft sensor and the flywheel pick up resolved the issues it is most commonly caused by movement /back lack of the flywheel If the fault has cleared and the vehicle is running ok then we know crank sensor air gap adjustment has resolved the issue The self test in the cluster should be ignored as this isn't real information as such do if the fault has cleared don't worry about codes logged in the cluster (an eobd code reader cannot clear cluster codes ) If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anything that can clear cluster codes
Hi there To clear the cluster dtcs you would need to have a diagnostic computer attached to the vehicle in order to establish communications with the cluster and the clear all fault codes Personally if the fault has cleared by carrying out adjustment to the air gap then I wouldn't be concerned over clearing the cluster codes kind regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does it matter how big the air gap is or is it about right when the warning message vanishes ?
Hi there There is no actual setting of the air gap on the 1.8tdci crank sensorIt is just trial and error untill issue clears
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
spot on cheers ***** ***** info brian 5 star.
Hi there no worries Kind regards ***** ***** a nice evening Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brian i rang ford today to double check my understanding that there is no set up of the crank sensor but they are saying the Crank sensor from new has a pin on it that sets the gap but gets knocked off once fitted against a tooth to give correct clearance. is this correct?
Hi there good morning to you I have personally never heard of this and have removed and fitted many crank sensors in my time Unless this is a modification that ford have released to aid air gap adjustment I can look further into this if you wish but was on the understanding that the fault was resolved Kind regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would appriciate it if you would please as i dont want the sensor to be sensing incorrect readings and sending inputs that either over fuel or cause premature wear on parts within the engine.
Hi there good morning to you and sorry further delayed responseok I have checked the actual part and Also the procedure and there is no pin you spoke of the sensor is just a plain crankshaft sensor there is also No specifications of air gap for the crank sensor If the vehicle is running ok then the issue is resolved as the pick up signal is ok Regards ***** *****