Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

We have a ford transit van 2008 diesel, this van will start

Hi we have a ford transit van 2008 diesel, this van will start when cold, but when it warms up it just turns over and over for quite some time before it engages, sounds like a sack of hammers during this starting procedure, mechanics are baffled, had new clutch and dmfw fitted last year (the dual mass had been welded up) and had this problem since, crank sensor replaced, we are at a loss, would be very grateful for some help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ,good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to offer you some technical assistance with your concern Is there any fault codes logged in the PCM Does the vehicle start ok from cold Is there any knocking noises from the flywheel area when warm Do you still require assistance Kind regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle starts great from cold, if is when it has run for a while that it plays up, it just turns over and over, sounds like a sack of hammers, it will eventually start, but hubby is afraid to go anywhere in it. There are no knocking noises from the flywheel area when warm, we have had diagnostics plugged in and completed those problems. We are at a complete loss!!!!
Hi there good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response Ok the first thing I would advise is to have a leak off test carried out on the injectors when the engine is warm/hot As if an injector is leaking off too much fuel this can cause this exact issue where by the vehicle starts no problem when cold but once warm just keeps cranking until eventfully starting This is a common issue we see on a lot of tdci varientsand is something that can be overlooked but must be ruled out as part of the Methodical diagnostic route In the flip side of this issue if one or more injectors is overfuelling the cylinder(not common when warm ) this can cause a type of hydraulicing noise as the cylinder is receiving too much fuel ) This can be verified by removing the injectors to see if one or more tips are wet If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know If you were satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day Any positive feedback is greatly appreciated Brian