Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

My car ford fusion zetec climate sa made in 2007 has a

My car ford fusion zetec climate sa made in 2007 has a problem,it regularly refuses to start after half hour it seems to re-set itself and starts normally is this a gearbox problem.When it refuses to start the screen goes blank and is impossible to start after half hour it starts normally,can you tell me what the problem is?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ,good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to offer you some technical assistance with your concernDoes the dash display either blank /---- or flashing NKind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It displays just blank.
Hi there good morning to youOk Your fault will most commonly be caused by a sticking electronic gearshift selector assembly fault
This Located on the front of the gearbox . the only way to correctly diagnose these faults with the durashift system is through Fords IDS laptop as a fault code check /gearshift tests are imperative -What normally happens is the gearshift actuator loses its position
And thinks it is stuck in 4th gear this not allowing you to crank/start the engine
This is why your dash display doesn't show N Or R correctlythis diagnostic software on fords ids lsptop allows the technician to monitor all the relavent signals from the transmission control module ,
I have personally fixed between 10 -20 durashift faults like yours
the first check that MUST be done is to inspect the wiring Very closely
between the TCM ( transmission Control Module ) and the electronic gearshift actuators
The wiring must have all its insulation/ tape/ covex tubing removed and be inspected visually from the TCM to the gearshift actuators for ANY signs of chaffing or more commonly corrosion ( blue/green on the wiring )
and also check all connections/multiplugs for damage/corrosionIf all the wiring is Ok the fault will lie with the gearshift Actautor
i hve changed aroung 6-7 of these actuators for the same fault
i have also seen the wiring be corroded a few times as well ( when the wiring is stripped back give the wires a light pull ) if corrosion is present the wire will break easily
The gearshift Actutors can ONLY be programmed through Fords IDS
The fault wont lie with the ECU/PCM or the TCM
It will be the wiring or the gear selectors
Most commonly the gear selectors ss yours is an intermitent fault
It would be worth stripping the wiring back yourself and checking for any broken/ corroded or damaged wires
this could also save you paying to get it fixed if the working is the issue
if ALL the wiring is OK ( no damage/corrsion ) Then
i would advise you book your vehicle into your nearest ford dealer to have the gear selectors replaced and programmed , as indepent garages DONT have the software required to diagnose/resolve this issue correctly and could end up diagnosng the fault wrongly and costing you a lot of moneyIf you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you were satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Any positive feedback is kindly appreciatedBrian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Brian,I believe that you have diagnosed the fault correctly and am pleased with the answer,thank you very much.