Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Mondeo 2.5L V6 Ghia Duratec engine automatic.About

Customer Question

Hello. Mondeo 2.5L V6 Ghia Duratec engine automatic.
About 45 miles into a 90 mile trip (mostly motorway) speedo failed. Continued journey and left car unused for 6 hours. Starting return, would not change gear. Continued with high revs in a low gear being careful not to get to close to "red" revs. Stopped at m'way services for about 25 mins. Continuing all was OK. Stopped near end of journey briefly and when continuing fault was back and I noticed that revs dropped to tickover when taking foot off accelerator but no change of road speed. Stopped in lay bye for about 15 mins and then continued with fault not present. Speedo never working throughout the adventure. Next day gearbox changing OK but with very jerky changes. Torque converter fluid level looks OK. VERY grateful for any suggestions. Bill
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello I'd suggest the 1st thnig to check is the wiring to the VSS ( vehicle speed sensor) on the gearboxthis has a strong effect on the gear shift control and the sensor can fail and the wiring connection become corrodedif the wiring looks Ok then replace the sensor with new
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you