Robert
Robert, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2001 ford Mondeo which has been standing unused for

Customer Question

I have a 2001 ford Mondeo which has been standing unused for 3 months. The battery was flat, so I charged it, and the engine started, put it in gear, but the car refuses to move (as if the handbrake is on, but it isn't). the brake pedal feels a bit mushy. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. Sounds like your brakes or handbrake is stuck on and not releasing.you'll need to jack up each corner and see if you can turn each wheel by hand.to ensure they all move freely.obviously checking the handbrake ensure the handbrake is off to check..make sure the front wheels are choked or the car in gear..before doing that check..if one/both of the rear wheels are stuck..remove each wheel in turn and and ensure the the handbrake cable is slack with the handbrake in the off position..try actuating the handbrake lever on the caliper to see if it moves or not..aswell as shock the hat section on the disc with a hyde hammer to help free it..a can of brake cleaner will also be worth using to help...but as above certainly sounds like your problem is that maybe on of the brakes isnt freeing up..most likely the handbrake id say....