Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a problem with my Ford Mondeo's (57 reg) computer.

Hi. I have a problem with my Ford Mondeo's (57 reg) computer. Recently it has refused to start 3 times in the last 3 weeks. Time 1 and 3 the immobiliser fault came up. It was reset by the garage (they can find nothing wrong after resetting), and then it will refuse to start after a week. The second time it said the battery was too low. The AA man fixed the car, but said it was not because the battery was flat at all, but that the computer had appeared to have faults which added up appearing to drain the battery. Can you help?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there , good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you today Ok does the vehicle have power button start Does the engine malfunction message also appear when this fault happens Did you attempt jump starting the vehicle with this fault present Kind regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi BrianThanks for replying. Yes, the vehicle has power button start. The engine malfunction icon came up (but I don't think it comes up as an "information" message). The last time the garage rescue service did try to jump start it, but it didn't work. The garage has had the car in for tests over a period of 2-3 days, monitoring the computer and the battery, but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Hope new information helps with diagnosis.Kind regards Judy
Hi Judy thanksAs you will understand resolving this type of isdue online can be a bit more challenging than other issues I deal with Ok the most common occurance regarding Immobilsor issues on the early mk4 models was caused by corrosion in the main wiring loom in the area of the Y joint were it can hold standing water and cause corrosion of the wiring causing intermitent non starts this is due to the fact the PCM doesn't speak to the BCMii (these are the main Immobilsor components ) and this Y joint wiring concern has caused me several different issues over the years mainly the immobilisor active concernIdeally I would like to know what fault codes were logged as this is imperative to correctly diagnosing the issueI have attached an image of the suspected wiring concern to give you a little more clarity on the possible route cause as due to its intermitent nature it can be difficult to pinpoint the exact cause but I would positively inspect this wiring as its a common occurance for this type of issue If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Judy please let me know If you were satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day Any positive feedback is kindly appreciated You can contact me on this same post going forward if required Brian
Image of common suspected area of corrosion in the main engine bay wiring loom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Brian. I'll send all this information to my garage for their inspection. If it is not the problem, can I contact you again on this forum?
Hi Judy Ok yes you can contact me on this same post even after rating the question /post won't close So if needed just reply back here and I will receive a notification of your reply Kind regards ***** ***** Judy and have a nice day Brian