Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

There - I have a recently bought 10 year old ford focus

Hi there - I have a recently bought 10 year old ford focus 1.6 TCCi that is intermittently kangarooing/ jerking once it's been warmed up and on the road for 30 minutes or more. My dealer can't find a fault on his computer. the jerking is in one second bursts and lasts for anything between five and 35 minutes. I get a gasaping rhythmic sound to go with it as though an asthmatic man is jummping up and down on a rusty mattress.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there , good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you today
Ok when does the jerking happen
Ie: under heard acceleration or cruising speed ie:20 mphKind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
usually it comes on at speed, and under hard acceleration, but not always
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - I've had no advice from you yet. I hope no-one is taking money from me yet?
Hi there thanks
Ok if you are experiencing hesitation /holding back or as it's known kangarooing under hard acceleration then the most common issue and first port of call is a partially blocked fuel filter
This is a common occurance on the tdci Varients due to the filters waxing up because of the additives used in modern diesel
This causes a drop in fuel pressure more noticeable under accelerationThe fuel filter should be replaced every 37,500 miles
But I have seen them become clogged earlier
I would advise a new fuel filter be fitted first and then monitor the issue
But I suspect this will cure your issueIf you need anymore help or advice on this issue going please let me know this post won't close
If you were satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Any positive feedback is kindly appreciatedBrian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It had a full service prior to being handed over to me. The computer shows no faults when connected to the ECU. It is an intermittent problem that only affects me on longer journeys. The gasping kangarooing is in one second jerks and can last anywhere between several minutes and a half hour and can revisit on the same trip, but outside of this the car runs perfectly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where dis my last response go?
Hi thanks
Ok are you sure it had a new fuel filter fitted as this must be ruled out before continuing
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pointed out the car had a full service at the Ford dealer prior to being passed to me. I said the fault comes and goes, sometimes three times within a 170 mile trip, and lasts between a few minutes and a half hour. The surging feels like someone is alternately pressing accelorater and brake pedals and each surge is a second long, rhythmically, with a noise like a bouncing whhezing bed spring
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes - and a new dpf
hi thanksOk if it is surging under a constant speed driving and there is no fault codes bring logged
then I would advise having a live road test carried out
This is done using the ford ids datalogger function (diagnostic equipment )
This allows the technician to monitor the vehicles sensors and actuators
Ie: fuel pressure ,boost pressure
EGR system ,air flow
This should be connected to the vehicle and then an extensive road test carried out with the equipment attachedThis is the best way to pinpoint such intermitent issue like this
And Iam surprised the ford dealer hasn't went down this route
I would advise you request the master technician go a run with you and if possible ) with datalogger connected as this way he can see the fault happening and visually see if there is any issues within the sub systems ie: fuel /boost etcIt could be a cause of a faulty turbo vacuum control solenoid or pipework where by its losing a small amount of vacuum causing a turbo surge
Again this would be noticeable on the dataloggerKind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I shall have words with the the garage mechanic.
Hi there no worries
We can continue on this same post if you require even after you are prompted for rating (it won't close )
And I will receive notification of your replyKind regards ***** ***** and have a nice eveningBrian