Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Mondeo 1.8 diesel 2010 my engine is making a knocking noise,

mondeo 1.8 diesel 2010 my engine is making a knocking noise, at idle, plenty of oil in engine cannot see what might be causing this noise please help. no warning lights on or loss of power.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd first try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary (power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repairedIf the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes orhas gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue Examine carefully the condition of the bottom / crank pulley as these are composite construction with a rubber element and its possible this rubber is breaking up and allowing the two metal portions to move. If all of this is OK then its possible the issue is with the dual mass flywheel on the other endof the engine, these are constructed in the same way I mentioned for the front pulley but are more prone to problems due to greater heat and larger forces. If your gearstick is rattling this is another pointer to this being the problem.