Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ford transit connect 1.8 tdci Instrument cluster going haywire and not

Customer Question

Ford transit connect 1.8 tdci
Instrument cluster going haywire and not working, changed alternator loom, worked for a bit, had instrument cluster re worked, worked for a few months doing again
Submitted: 7 months ago via AskTheMechanic.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 7 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 7 months ago.
Hi there , good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you todayDo you still require assistance with this issueDo all the lights and messages appear in the dash before it cuts out completleyRegards Brian
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Some times
Hi there good evening to you and sorry for the delayed responseOkay how's the charging open voltage be monitored with the fault present as the most common concern Missy is the alternator all the childre okay how's the charging open voltage be monitored with the fault present as the most common concern We see regarding the type of instrument cluster fault is the alternator overchargingIf the alternator is overcharging ie: 15.5 + volts
The cluster will start illuminating several lights etc then shut down
This is to protect the cluster (fail safe mode )The most common cause of alternator overcharging issues is corrosion in the wiring loomRegards ***** *****
Brian
Hi there good evening to you and sorry for the delayed responseOk has the charging open voltage be monitored with the fault present as the most common concern We see is the alternator the alternator overcharging
regarding this type of instrument cluster fault is the alternator overchargingIf the alternator is overcharging ie: 15.5 + volts
Brian
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi sorry been so long replying manic at the mo, just checked it and it's sitting at 14.4, had that issue with the loom off the alternator before and change also had instrument cluster refurbished and worked for a few months, feel like it's a short or something, another thing that might be related,I bought the ford 6disc stereo for the van as the tape stereo kept turning itself up and down and wouldnt switch on for its Hr ifyou pressed the button, but it didn't work only flash on was returned and checked and certified working ūüė©