Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ford Galaxy 2007 2.0 tdci had no brake lights. OBD scanner

Ford Galaxy 2007 2.0 tdci had no brake lights. OBD scanner shows 0504 Brake Switch A/B Correlation code. Both fuse f28 and brake switch seem ok, so I figure circuit must be broken between the two. So I take +12v from accessory socket to brake switch and brake lights work ok. But I go to move the car and suddenly I have a different problem, both front brakes appear to be seizing... Is this related to bypassing the feed to the brake pedal foot switch, or a coincidence? I was doing a lot of standing on the pedal when testing the brake lights, could that have triggered something? Seems to affect both front brakes as both front wheels are getting hot after driving a few 100m so I am guessing it is not related to calipers or hoses... Any suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 8 months ago.
Hi there good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you today dif you prove any other wires on the Brake switches with the 12 volt feed until finding the correct one Regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes probed all wires but not with 12v, I used a digital voltmeter connected to ground looking for +12v to find the supply (but got just mV) then with voltmeter connected to +12v I found the wire to the lights. I'm pretty sure I didn't zap anything with 12v if that is what you mean...
Hi there thanks Ok the brake switches do a little more than just apply the lights on s-max /galaxy platforms The switch is also connected to the BCMii and PCM/ECU to tell these modules that the brake is being pressed The PCM in turn sends this information to the ABS module so in cases where it needs to activate the brakes it can If you have probed the signal wire to the PCM or ABS modules then this is where issues can arise The correlation fault is basically saying that the 2 switches in the brake pedal ste not working in tandem(together at the same time )This could be down to a switch issue or one of the modules that have seen the 12 volt spike thinking the brake pedal is being pressed constantly (most likely the abs module thinks the brake is depressed ) These systems are very complex and in most cases when a short /spike of voltage is detected it requires fords ids diagnostic software to reset these systems An example is of you fitted a single filament bulb instead of a twin filament the system sees a short (most systems don't have fuses) the relavent module then shuts the system down If you fit the correct bulb the system will still not operate until it is reset using the ids software I suspect the abs module had seen a voltage spike here and and is causing this issue therefore the systems must be reset before continuing If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know If you were satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice day Any positive feedback is kindly appreciated Brian
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok that makes sense, but just to confirm, the 12v feed to the black switch, is it just a plain feed from the fuse box? Or has that supply gone via the sensor which is talking to the ECU? In other words, if I got the system reset, but still fed the switch direct from a feed piggy backed off the f28 fuse, would I still have a problem (as the sensor would still be bypassed?) or is the sensor for the black switch between the switch and the lights?
Hi there do you have your registration number there so i ca. Pull up correct diagram to advise you further Kind regards ***** *****
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's KL07 CUV - thanks
Hi thanksOk the brake switch is powered by fuse 28 to pin 1 of the switch (green /red wire )When the brake pedal switch is activated it sends 12 volts to the BCMii (fuse box in pasengers footwell ) to connector 2 pin 54The BCMii the calculates the request and sends 12 volts out to the brake lights from connector 2 pin 59(Violet /brown wire )
As I was saying there is no fuses on the output system to the lights unlike older vehiclesIf you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you were satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER
Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Any positive feedback /bonuses are kindly appreciatedBrian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, thanks for your help.