Nathan B
Nathan B, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  20+ years as a mechanic including running my own garage.
27720961

My brake light keeps coming on ford galaxy 09 plate, any

Customer Question

my brake light keeps coming on ford galaxy 09 plate, any ideas
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 6 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Nathan B replied 6 months ago.
Hi there.Welcome to ja.comI hope i can help you today.There are only 2 reasons why the brake light on the dash will come on while driving without the handbrake on.The most common reason is that the brake fluid level is low in the resevoir under the bonnet. This can be down to the brake pads worn down and so the level has dropped or that there is a leak in the system. Most probably just the level is low but it is worth a check at all the wheels when the car is dry to see if any of the brake calipers are wet with fluid and if they are then they will have to be replaced or repaired before bleeding the brakes again to remove any air out of the system. Another reason for the light coming on if the level is not low is that the float in the resevoir could be stuck down and so make the light come on. This can be sorted by removing the cap and making sure the float can move easily and then refitting the cap.The most common reason though as i said is eaither a leak or low level and if there is no leak but the level is low just top it up with dot4 brake fluid and then the light will go off and not come on while driving.The light is not only the handbrake light but it is also a warning light to let you know that the level is low.I hope this has helped you on this matter. If you require any further help on this matter then you can still post on here even if you have accepted my answer as this doesnt close out the question.Also, if you require help in the future you can contact me on this site via my profile and i will be happy to help you again.Please rate my answer as this is how i get paid and any feedback is very much appreciated.Thank you in advanceNathan