Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Getting repeated message "driver assist malfunction" and the

Getting repeated message "driver assist malfunction" and the steering locks, usually on morning startup. It normally clears.
Dealer says I need a new steering column at about £750...Can this be right? (Ford Focus 61)
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.

Hi there good evening to you sorry for the delayed response my name is***** will be happy to assist you tonight

Ok do you know the fault code"s that are logged

Is this a hard fault (there all the time )

Or only on first start up

Is your focus the first of the mk3 build focus

Kind regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car was first registered in December 2011.
First had problems about 18 months ago, persistant messeges and steering locking, Usually on first start up.
Garage could find no fault but said they had reinstalled the computer software. No problems after that until recently.
I find it a bit strange that this garage is claiming a steering column failure this time.
Sorry but I don't know the fault codes

Hi there good morning to you and I'm very sorry for the delayed response

Ok before rushing in and replacing any parks I would have a few things checked

Firstly I would be ruling out and checking the battery voltage as low battery voltage on cold crank can cause a voltage drop ie : 10.5 volts

this causes modules not to communicate /wake up properly thud causing erractic messages which can most commonly be resolved by keying off and then back on

Also another keyless / steering lock actuator issues we are commonly resolved by having the KVM ( keykess vehicle module ) software updated using the ford ids software

I would never rush in and start replacing parts without carrying out a méthodical diagnostic. Approach

I personally have never seen or heard of a steering Column being replaced on this Varient of vehicle

The system is very complex and involves several modules not just The steering column

The KVM controls the steering lock actuator module

Ie when you jump in the car the KVM detects the key and disengages the steering lock

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know

If you were satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Any positive feedback is kindly appreciated

Brian