Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2015 mondeo zetec wit 30,000 kms which i purchased

i have a 2015 mondeo zetec wit 30,000 kms which i purchased new. i find the car very unsteady on the road, wheather it be a motorway or secondary road at whatever speed.
it bounces an rolls continuosly and seems to detect every bump or hollow, however small.
i maintain the recommended tyre pressure, checking regularly. it has not being subjected to impacts with potholes, ramps, kerbs etc and i brought it in to get the tracking/wheel alignment checked, which was ok.
i was wondering why the car is driving like this. is there sensors in the suspension, which are perhaps extra sensitive.
Joe
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

Hello Joe

If you haven't already then I'd recommend taking the car to a place that does 4 wheel suspension alignment, most places use the back wheels as a datum and assume that they are perfectly straight and true. Often this is not the case and many modern cars are now adjustable at the rear as well as the front.

A 4 wheel alignment measures all four wheels independently and each is set -up without referring to each other and should only cost around £40.

If looks Ok then I'd consider fitting a taller profile tyre with a smaller diameter wheel, this will add some compliance to the ride and generally calm the quick responses. An alternative is to keep the current wheel and replace the tyres with some of a softer sidewall so removing some of the compliance in the system - Toyo's for example

This is especially true if you have run-flat tyres currently fitted

If you look on the tyre at the end of the number eris there's a letter the number just before this letter denotes the load capacity and therefore sidewall stiffness.

ie 225/55 R16 91V its the 91 you're interested in try a tyre with a lower figure and you'll get a softer tyre, however bear in mind this will also soften the steering response

Its also worth checking that all the main suspension pivot points have been tightened with the car on its wheels not in the air as this can add a lot of friction to the suspension and lastly check that the brakes aren't binding at all as this too can make the ride very jerky and bouncy

Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years