Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

I have a Ford Focus 2005 1.6 petrol ghia. It's a mk2 but not

Customer Question

I have a Ford Focus 2005 1.6 petrol ghia. It's a mk2 but not the facelift so has the first version of the instrument cluster without the silver on.
I'm getting a sporadic problem with it. The speedo and Rev dial will drop for a moment and come back up. The car reacts by saying 'engine systems failure - acceleration reduced'.
I have had an auto electrician out who said that the cluster is faulty and it's a common does problem.
I have sent the cluster to a repair service down south and they have 'fixed' them.
I put the cluster back in and on the second journey it did the exact same thing.
I rang the company and they said to reset the fault codes and check all the connections in the fuse box by the passenger box are tight. Did that and it's still happening. Any ideas what it could be?
It is throwing up a p0156 code which relates to bank 2 position 2 o2 sensor but I don't think that would affect the cluster. It has occasionally given me a p0001 code which I believe relates to the CANBUS in the clocks.
When it says 'engine systems failure' the red light comes on next to the speedo but not the orange engine management light, as a result it does not actually show any codes in the reader.
What could this be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

I'd say that this sounds more like an issue with the ECU losing electrical power to me

so I'd pull the ECU fuses one by one and check for cracks and ensure that the sockets are clean and corrosion free

also check the condition of the ECU relay in the underbonnet fusebox - if the contacts look corroded or the unit overheated then replace it

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'll have a look shortly and get back to you although it will probably be tomorrow before I can truly test if the fault has gone. I have been recommended to check all the ecu fuses so that's where I'll be headed next
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

OK just get back to me on this post

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have checked all the fuses and relays. All seem perfect, no corrosion or any type of buildup in the pins or connectors.I left the battery off last night. Reconnected it today and it's still doing the same thing.
I lost the Rev needle for a couple of seconds today it slipped to 0, then came back and gave me 'acceleration reduced engine systems fault'. This can be over-rided by simply restarting the engine.
Today it gave a more worrying symptom on the motorway, it did its usual acceleration reduced trick then the needle came back, however the engine would not accelerate at all this time and I lost about 20mph on the motorway before I realised the vehicle was simply going to roll to a stop so I had to restart whilst rolling in the carriageway which wasn't ideal!
Another thing that might be worth a mention is that my cruise control stops working after the acceleration reduced warning, I imagine the warning knocks it off. However, after a restart I find that sometimes the cruise control will work and sometimes not and don't know why ( I realise it only activates after a certain speed but it's not that)Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

I'd next check the condition of the small earth wires that run out of the engine bay loom and are secured to the engine with ring terminals and small bolts - these are the ECU earth connections

also check the state of the main earth connection between the battery and the engine too

if this is all OK then I'd replace the ECU power relay

and if that doesn't help then consider sending the ECU off for testing / repair

try these firms

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I still haven't sorted the problem yet, trying the ecu next I'm getting to the bottom of it
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.