Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Think I have made the issue myself but hear is the

Customer Question

Hi think I have made the issue myself but hear is the circumstances.
I bought a damaged/reparable fiesta and am in the re-assembly stage when I noticed that the accessory drive belt pulley on the end of the crank was damaged the engine ran at this point but it needed replacement, no problem one e-bay purchase later new wheel.
I swapped out the wheel at the weekend but now the car won’t start. Looking closely there is a sensor that tucks behind the wheel and may be something to do with timing.
The wheel itself does not have a key or anything so it can literally go on at in any position out of the possible 360 deg so I am now thinking that I have put the wheel on in out of sync and messed up the ignition timing if that is in fact what the sensor is.
There is a small hole in the wheel that aligns with a hole in the crank case so my assumption was that this must be the position to fix the wheel when the engine was in TDC, so remove the spark plug form the left cylinder as you look at the engine from the front, aligned the wheel with the crank case, no start, ok maybe it the right cinder set to TDC reset wheel still no start.
Can you help with this I can find very little on statically setting the engine timing? Not even a Haynes manual covers this little engine too new I suppose…
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

you don't say what engine size and fuel type this is but I'd say that you've correctly identified the issue as the sensor behind the pulley is the crank position / engine speed and if the pulley is out of position ( it has a missing tooth that the sensor reads) then the engine won't start

the engine relies on the friction between the pulley and the crank to stay in the right spot and there's a jig to ensure its set correctly

if you can tell me the engine details I'll try to identify the tool

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt
it is a 1.0 Eco boost petrol. Yes it is a friction fit with no alignment tooth for the wheel itself, so I guess I need to know what the relative position the wheel should be to tdc of cylinder 1 ( or 2 or 3 for that matter) which I am assuming is the left piston as you look at the engine?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

cylinder number 1 is the one closest to the pulley drive so yes the far left

this tool should do align the pulley as its the same setup for all Ecoboost's

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=17688&productdescription=&productcode=&category=6&catgroup=313&catmicrogroup=1201&analysiscode=&requiredresults=16

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt pleased with the advise and it has pointed me in the right direction I have ordered the tool but was hoping to keep the conversation live until I have tried it on the car, that's hopefully then a point I can say you have successfully answered the question - does that make sense?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

No problem

just get back to me on this post

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt I have recived the tool on Monday but it appears not to be correct for my engine. Having spent time searching I found the following tool and instructions for correctly setting the timing on a ecoboost 1.0 so having spent £30 on a just answer and £20'on a tool not for my engine I am sorry to say feel like I have not had the best advise, what would you suggest under the circumstances to 'fix' this please see http://www.lasertools.co.uk/items/PDF/Products/6290_Instructions.pdf
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I understand

probably best to request a refund

http://ww2.justanswer.co.uk/en-gb/help/how-can-i-request-refund