Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have just bought an 05 Focus 2.0 Titanium which has

Customer Question

I have just bought an 05 Focus 2.0 Titanium which has following symptoms.
1. Lumpy idle and running engine.
2. Under the plastic engine cover one of the plug leads nearest to cover mount seems to be taped up
3. Engine light is on.
4. Small amount of white smoke from exhaust.
I've searched online and possible answers I've come up with are MAF sensor problem plugs leads etc.
Any advise greatly appreciated I have to book it into garage but don't want to be taken for a ride!
Cheers.
Dan
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Dan good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to offer you technical assistance with your issue

Ok your issue is caused by an engine misfire

if one of the spark plug leads is damaged /torn this can cause Arcing of the spark which leads to rough idle /hesitations and your management light illuminating

There is 3 components on the ignition system

The coil pack - this supplies the high voltage spark

The plug high tension lead - this carries the spark from the coil pack to the spark plug

The spark plugs themselves

All 3 can cause a missfire /rough lumpy idle but if one of the plug leads is damaged The nurses this would be suspected as the root cause of your misfire

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Dan please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you were satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Any positive feedback is kindly appreciated

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Brian for your answer yes that is what I suspect myself I'm just concerned the garage will try to say it is something else.Have you any ball park figures I should expect to pay based on options it could be..CheersDan

Hi Dan

Ok the plugs are around £15 each (only replace faulty one )

Spark plugs are around £5 each

On rarer cases the coil pack can fail and Riis is a bit more expensive around £90

If you need any clarification on what the garage says please let me know and I will assist you the best I can

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I took the car in and they firstly suspected coils. I have just been informed that there is no compression on cylinder 3 and the will need to take it to pieces to find the fault which they say could be valves or a piston problem they are quoting £800 to £900 to get it sorted out!!!!Would it be better or cheaper getting someone to swap a reconditioned engine or do you have any other advice?Many thanksDan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello did you read my reply?
Hi there Dan good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response I never received a notification of your response so can only apologise for not responding
My email notifications have been playing up the. last week or soOk if you have no compression in one cylinder them it's commonly a burnt valve
And is the worst case scenario with a missfire issueIt would be cost effective to fit a reconditioned engine as the bill for stripping the engine down and rebuilding it can quickly grow
There are some companies online who will take your old engine off you as part of the Exchange as all they will do is strip it ,repair it and sell it on againKind regards ***** *****
Brian