Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

There's a tapping noise at the top of the engine when I

There's a tapping noise at the top of the engine when I start my 2009 ford transit 2.2 sport van ,it's only got 50,000 miles on the clock, when the engine is working temp the tapping goes.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you todayOk obviously engine noises are more difficult to diagnose online than other types of diagnostics
Ok the most common cause of engine noise when cold on the 2.2 TDCI is diesel knock caused by injector limits being out of spec /excitation of the injector causing too much fuel to enter the combustion chamber
This can be rectified by having the injector pilot learn relearned using fords ids software
This relearn the 5 stages of injection to quieten combustion noiseAs the noise disperses when the engine warms up its most commonly diesel knock noises we seeAlso ensure oil level is ok and correct grade is used
(5-30d - spec)
And importantly endure the service intervals are adhered toIf you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you
If you were satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER
Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Any positive feedback is kindly appreciatedBrian