Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I spoke to you before on 11/5.16 regarding a suspected KVM

HiI spoke to you before on 11/5.16 regarding a suspected KVM software upgrade that was needed due to my 2007 mondeo immobiliser activating if i didnt start the car straight away.I have taken the car into FORD. They diagnosed it needed this software ugrade .......but the upgrade didnt work and now they are saying it needs a new Ignition Switch. £290I have purchased an ignition switch myself and reading what people had put, it was a very straight forward replacement.
Having taken off the the cover above and below the steering column, I cant seem to find the unit at all. Can you shed some light on this please.Thanks
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I include a picture of the said piece
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 6 months ago.

Hi there good evening to you

Ok this ignition switch is from a standard ignition setup with a normal key

yours is a keyless start system so doesn't have this type of ignition switch your ignition switch is the power button

There is a electronic steering lock actuator assembly is this what they wanted to replace

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that's right it is keyless start... Funny thing is the company asked for reg No and I told them it was push button start...
ford have said ignition switch and that's what I went on.. He showed me his notes. So what am I actually looking for please?
The ignition switch is the power button assembly
This takes minutes to replaceKindest regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sh this would be lovely but so far nothing has run smoothly lolAfter I get in the car and sit.... If I do not proceed to start within approx.... 45 seconds.... Then the dash turns off, go's out of ignition and the steering lock engages... No power.
I then have to click 'open' on the key fob, open and close door and then ignition comes back on and I can start the car as usual (as long as I do it in 45 seconds)I just don't want to pay out fir something that is not needed.

Hi there

Ok the steering should lock after 45 seconds if it doesn't see any activity

Does the steering not unlock itself if you press the power /start button

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi againNo, I get nothing. It's as though I've locked it up (without the doors locking).
If I press the start button (without the clutch) then it will stay with the ignition switched on (but not started) all day....and start when I want it too.
It's when I get in and don't try to start it for 45 seconds... Then, I have to go through the full 'unlocking' process again.

Hi there Iam wondering if the BCMii isn't seeing that you have actually opened the drivers door as this dash should come alive when you open the door

Can you leave this with me and I will try and carry out your process on a vehicle tommorow from possible

Kind regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your help.Just so your aware, when I first unlock and open the car, there is no issues at all. It's once I've been sat in the car, without actually starting it (approx 45 seconds), that the car shuts down. The immobiliser seems to kick in.

Does it actually state Immobilsor active on the dash or key not detected or steering lock engaged /malfunction

Regards Brian

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, nothing. It just shuts down.
I hear the click (after 45 seconds) of what I assume is the steering lock and then the car is off!
Until I press unlock on the key fob and open/close the door... I have to open the door again to activate the steering lock or immobiliser, so I can start it.
Hi there good evening to youOk I have tested 2 Mondeos today one an early 57 plate and a later 09 plate both keykess systemsThe 57 plate does the exact same as your raised concern
The 09 plate doesn'tI contacted my ford engineer today who stated this was never classified as a fault on earlier builds it was a design intent featureDue to customer concerns about this over the years ford released a software update for the KVM to combat this
And This was rectified by having the software of the keyless module updated to latest level(However )the earlier built vehicles KVM module had different hardware from the later build KVM
Thus the software updates were different due to software /hardware incompatibilityThe successful KVM update only worked on later built KVM modulesAs yours is a early build this is a design intent feature which to resolve you would need to replace the KVM
(I wouldn't advise this for this issue )If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you
If you were satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER
Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Any positive feedback is kindly appreciatedBrian

Hi there good morning to you

Did you receive my reply regarding your keyless concern

Brian

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi BrianThank you for the reply. I've been away for a few days so not read through the replies.
So, if it's the KVM, then can I change it or will it need programming?

Hi there good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response

Ok yes the KVM would need to programmed /coded to the Immobilsor system after replacement with the latest hardware level installed and also the software would need to updated to latest level also

However I think you would also need to change the electronic steering lock assembly as this will be miss matched with the later level KVM hardware

So My personal opinion would be to leave it as it is as this would an expensive repair for something that is design intent (albeit annoying )

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Any positive feedback/bonuses is kindly appreciated

Brian

Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE