Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a question regarding the noise my 2010 mk7 1.6 petrol

Customer Question

Hi I have a question regarding the noise my 2010 mk7 1.6 petrol ford fiesta makes. On start up it sounds almost like a diesel but almost disappears after approximately 3 mins. Also I noticed it making a very slight mechanical noise when revs drop. Has the correct oil recently fitted, no smoke on start up, no change in performance
When engine is cold
https://youtu.be/uo8DudKF73I
When engine is warm
https://youtu.be/M2JO0SizRCw
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
60000 on the clock
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mechanic has just had a listen from cold and said at very least it sounds like bad oil pressure but was uncertain of what could be causing it. When car starts from cold it seems like it takes too long for the oil to get around. Usually takes a few minutes on tick over but after bring the revs up to 15k the tapping noise disappeared in about 30 seconds. The garage who has done the service have never fitted the original ford oil filter, could this be the issue because he explained the ford ones have got a return valve on them. Even so should the oil take that long to get around?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I've not had any warnings pop up
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you todayOk is the noise more a ticking than a tapping noiseDoes it only ever happen at idle
And not when driving itRegards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once the car is warmed up the noise is as is in the second video. Very slight fast ticking on revs down (I.e. 3k down to 2k) when changing gears. The higher the revs the louder the noise when revs are dropping. But it's not loud at all. I have to listen out for it or for example drive near a wall

Hi there

There is no video attached to post

In most cases with the 1.6 petrol Varient the ticking noise is from the injectors

This is design intent of the vehicle

The ticking will be louder when cold as the injectors are working harder

If you use a screwdriver on the injector and listen to the solenoid ticking to see if this is the noise you speak of

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are two YouTube links on the original post. The reason I'm worried is because my friends fiesta sounds nothing like mine