Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a titanium ford focus 1.6. I have recently been

I have a titanium ford focus 1.6. I have recently been having trouble with the engine malfunction light. It comes on whilst driving and then slows my car down. I have also had trouble starting my car. Sometimes it starts, other times it doesn't. I am totally baffled as many people have looked at it and can't seem to find a problem to fix.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.

Hi there good evening to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you tonight

Ok ok do you get a few different messages on display

Ie: engine malfunction / reduced acceleration /steering assist failure /transmission failure

Does the red Immobilsor light flash when this fault occurs

Or ---- appear on display

Regarding the starting issue I assume the vehicle doesn't crank over and the red Immobilsor light flashes rapidly

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine malfunction message comes up, all lights on dashboard illuminates, the Rev counter needle drops along with speedo needle. Then the acceleration reduced message comes up, speedo and rev counter needles resume, all lights off apart from abs and esp.
Bill
Hi there billDoes the Immobilsor light flash at all when this fault happens or when you say you have trouble starting the vehicle is there no crank combined with a rapidly flashing ImmobilsorKind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the message "Engine Malfunction" appears the speedo and rev counter needles drop. The lights that appear are 'Parking Brake', Battery', 'Oil', 'Engine' symbol, 'ABS', 'Fuel' and 'ESP'. When the message changes to "Accelloration Reduced", both needles resume and all lights disappear apart from ESP which is sometimes, but not always, accompanied with the ABS light.
Hi Bill , good morning to youOk your fault is caused by a loss of communication between the pcm and cluster
The fault can be the cluster , the pcm or the 2 CAN. Bus wires between themfrom your description of the issue I would strongly suspect a faulty instrument cluster (I don't believe in sending these for repair as I have in the past only for it to be the route cause of the fault
This seems to be more common on the 1.6 petrol Varients for some reasonThe instrument cluster is the gateway between the high and mid speed can bus communications systems (data network )
This can systems controls the various electronic control components of the vehicleI have personally diagnosed many of these cluster issues with the exact same symptoms as yoursCustomers think how can the cluster cause this issue because it's just a cluster but in reality the cluster is a complex module that exchanges high speed data with several other modules connected on the can bus system and is also the main Immobilsor compinentThe fault with these clusters seems to be an internal breakdown of the can bus system (connection issues on the circuit board )In my experience of this fault I would definitely susupected an internal cluster faultI always carry out a network test with the fault present to see if the cluster speaks to the diagnostic tester
We find the cluster doesn't communicate but the pcm does (this rules out all wiring between the dlc plug and pcm thus leaving the cluster as the only component leftIf you need anymore help or advice on this issue Bill please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice dayBrian
Hi there Bill good morning to youHow did you get on with our cluster issueKindest regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi yes I received your message. The red immobilizer light does also flash when "ENGINE MALFUNCTION" is displayed. The fault is not continuous and sometimes I can drive a couple of days before it comes up again. How much do you think to put this right?
Bill

Hi Bill good morning to you

Ok this is a tell tale sign of a faulty instrument cluster

To resolve this issue you will need to replace the instrument cluster

This is a fault that I have seen many times over the years and can only be resolved by replacing the instrument cluster

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you are satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Any positive feedback/bonuses is kindly appreciated

Brian

Hi bill good evening to youIf you need any further help or advice on this issue Please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you
If you have been satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER as this helps builds my online profile
Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
BrianWe can continue on this same post even after rating is given
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The information I have received has been first rate. This is the most concise and plausible solution up to date after consulting many "experts". I would recommend this service to anybody.

Hi Bill thank you for the kind words

I pride myself on giving my customers a service they can relate to and be happy with using my vast knowledge and experience with ford vehicles

Please rate my advice when prompted if you would be so kind

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian