Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My question relates to a 1978 Ford Mk2 Escort 1300 OHV.

Customer Question

my question relates to a 1978 Ford Mk2 Escort 1300 OHV. Having taken my car out of hibernation after a decade or more during which time it received a fully reconditioned engine, It runs well when it goes but takes fits of misfiring and breaks down. I've had it with many mechanics who suggest replacing various ignition items eg Ignition switch, Coil, Fuel pump, Plug leads etc. What I want to know is if the starter solenoid is integral to the Ballast ignition coil as that has been suggested as the next item to replace. I'm frustrated and nearly broke buying parts and paying repair bills.
Help Please
yours truly
John l'Estrange
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello John

the starter solenoid is separate to the ignition coil

I'd go back to basics a little and 1st check the condition of the engine earth connections, also if its on the weber carb I'd also check the level or fuel inside the float bowl as it should be about 2/3rds full - if its lower than this, try checking that the float valve isn't sticking and you can also adjust the tab on the back of the float so it sits higher

also check the wiring to the ignition coil for heat damage as it can expand with temperature

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My specific question was if the starter solenoid switch was integral to the ignition coil as this is what has been suggested. the coil returns to low voltage after start-up.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

its not integral but switched by it?

so as you release the key the coil voltage is then dropped to 6V

I'd also consider switching to a slightly more modern 12V coil that needs no switching between high and low voltages and so can just be wired to the 12V ignition feed

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you