Nathan B
Nathan B, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  20+ years as a mechanic including running my own garage.
27720961

Sean, my xmax engine management light came on a few times

Hi Sean, my xmax engine management light came on a few times after I bought the car. After a few failed attempts the dealer eventually said he had fixed it. Just a bit suspicious now as the engine management light does not come on along with the other lights when the ignition is turned on. Does this light not come on, or has it been isolated to clear the fault?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Nathan B replied 9 months ago.

hi there.

Welcome to ja.com

I hope i can help you today.

Ok. The engine management light should come on when the ignition is switched on and stay illuminated until a couple of seconds after you start the car as it needs to do a system check after starting to make sure all the sensors are getting the right readings. It should then go off and stay off unless the ecu picks up a fault somewhere and so then comes on to warn you that there is a problem.

Unless you have access to a code reader then unfortunately what you are going to have to do is take the car to a different garage and get the car plugged in again and get them to read the faults. It does seem that the light has been disengaged somehow.

If you do have access to a code reader, what you can do is read the codes stored on the ecu and then unplug a sensor on the engine and then start it up and drive it a short distance and then plug the code reader back in and see if another fault has logged even without the light coming on. This will then show that the light has been disengaged.

I hope this has helped you in this matter. Please remember to rate my answer as this is how i get paid and any feedback is very much appreciated. You can still post on this answer even after you have accepted my answer as this does not close out this question.

Also, if you require help in the future you can contact me via my profile on this site and i will be happy to help you again.

Thank you in advance

Nathan

Nathan B, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 20+ years as a mechanic including running my own garage.
Expert:  Nathan B replied 9 months ago.

Hi there.

I would just like to thank you for your rating and also your bonus as this is very much appreciated and shows me that i am doing a good job and that you are happy with the service i am providing yourself.

I wouls just like to add that, if you require any assistance in the future please don't hesitate to contact me on this site via my profile and i will be happy to help you again.

Thank you again

Nathan