Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ford Mondeo Mk4 Engine Malfunction and ESP light on. In limp

Customer Question

Ford Mondeo Mk4 Engine Malfunction and ESP light on. In limp mode. When first happened relocking the car a few times cleared issue. Now on all the time. Anything to be done as bank holiday weekend so no service available?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 11 months ago.
Hi there good afternoon To you and sorry for the delayed response
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist/ offer you advice you to todayOk the engine managment light and ESP light are illuminated due to an engine management fault The reason the ESP light illuminates is due to the missing information it receives from the PCM (torque v demand )The main cause of this is commonly a turbo /boost concern weather it be a faulty sensor or more commonly a vacuum issue ie loose connection or chaffed vacuum hose causing a loss /drop in vacuum to the turbovisually check all the vacuum hoses firstly in and around the inlet manifold and vacuum diagram systemIdeally you should have a diagnostic fault code check done first to clarify the what exact code is logged as this gives a Stronger indication of which sub system the issue liesIf you need anymore help or advice on this issue /going forward (ie:after the code has been Retreived )
please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you
If you are satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER
Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Any positive feedback/bonuses is kindly appreciatedBrian
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Brian, thanks for response. Had to leave the car behind me (about 100 miles away) so unable to do any further checks on vacuum hoses. Had planned to get an auto-electrician to check/clear fault code on Tuesday (after holiday) but looks like I would be better just getting it towed to a Ford garage??

Hi there good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response

Ok there won't be much difference in price between an auto electrician and a ford dealer

A lot of ford dealers now price match quotes as there isn't a big difference between main dealers and Independant garages

so it may be worth phoning them and trying to haggle a bit on the price most will match your quote ie for a diagnostic charge will be 1 hours labour

The fault code is an imperative part of our diagnostics

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue going forward Please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Any positive feedback is kindly appreciated

Brian

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Brian,
Car was brought to a main Ford dealer. The fault codes pointed to a faulty fuel injector and they wanted to change all four. Got them to agree to just change out the one for now (I know not recommended) but funds not available at the moment. Have to collect it tomorrow so hopefully I can talk to someone there as I have only been dealing with the service reception.Thanks,
Stephen