Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I am getting a rubbing sound from the o/s front on my 2012

Customer Question

I am getting a rubbing sound from the o/s front on my 2012 Ford Focus when I brake.
It has had 2 new sets of front discs fitted over the last 4 months, and the carrier was replaced last weekend. I have discs on the front and drums on the rear, and both have been cleaned and greased as required by my mechanic.
When I drove into work this morning and slowed down at traffic lights it was rubbing as normal, but it continued to rub albeit slightly quieter when I lifted my foot of the brake. I could also hear a faint rubbing/squeak as I drove.
Do you have any idea what could be causing this, as my mechanic wants to fit a new set of front discs on Friday, but I'm pretty sure it not the discs.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 9 months ago.
Hi there good afternoon To you and sorry for the delayed response
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist/ offer you advice you to todayDo you still require assistance with this issue kindest regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do. What is causing it?

Hi there thanks

Sorry for the delayed response

Ok the fault will lie with the wheel hub (excessive run out ) above allowable specification )

If you remove the wheel and caliper /pads

Then tighten 3 wheel nuts against the disc (20nm )

Then move the disc round using the carrier as a reference

You will see the disc move in and out due to the wheel hub run out

You can also carry out a run out test using a dti gauge

This can commonly cause a brake judder which can be resolved short term by new discs

But the judder returns or the brake pads rub off the disc which is what is happening in your instance

To resolve the issue you need to fit a new wheel hub (and if the brake discs have been driven for a good distance you may require a disc on the affected side

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you were satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening

Any positive feedback / bonuses are kindly appreciated

Brian

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What is the typical cost for a new wheel hub?My car is going back into the garage on Friday to get new front discs fitted (3rd set in under 6 months).Regards, Iain.

Hi there Iain thanks

The wheel hub costs around £90 from memory but would need to clarify this using your registration number

Also you can get non ford parts cheaper so it may be worth getting a few prices together to see what's cheapest cost effective method

kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is this issue bearing related; I'm assuming the bearing and hub are together?

Hi Iain

Ok the bearing comes with hub assembly

You can replace the bearing seperatly but if replacing the hub it comes as a complete assembly

As the bearing splits when removed from hub

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The mechanic did suggest it might be the bearing, and a colleague at work suggested it could be the bearing too, so for you to say it's the hub (and this includes the bearing), then this fills me with confidence I may get the issue sorted.It is just the offside front, but would you advise me replacing the hub/bearing on the nearside front at same time?My registration is ET12HSU - Would you be able to find me a cost for there hub?

Hi Iain

I would only replace the affected side

I can check the exact cost /part number tommorow morning and post back to you if that's ok

Kindest regards

Brian

Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that would be great.The symptoms you describe are spot on, when my current discs were fitted it only lasted about 2 weeks before the rubbing returned. New discs are being fitted this Friday (warranty claim), so hopefully the hub can be fitted same time.The car is going into the garage on Friday, it's not a main dealership, but a local garage, so the parts should be cheaper, so your response means I can phone him tomorrow, tell him what you said, and allow him to order the hub for the offside front.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I get juddering when braking, there is a rubbing noise when braking, when I come to a stop there is a squeaking sound, and when I drive off there is a faint rubbing sound. So all this is caused by the wheel hub. This is wonderful news, this long saga may almost be over.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will let you know how it goes at the garage. Thankyou.Kind Regards, Iain.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have spoken to my mechanic he has the hub and has new discs and pads too as it is a warranty claim. What he has asked me though is could the noise be a faulty tyre?
Hi there
Has he visually looked at the disc moving as he should be able to see a visual wobbleIt won't be a tyre noiseKind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am taking the car in tomorrow night and he will do the work on Friday. He is fitting a new wheel hub to the offside front, and then he will fit the new Delphi discs and pads. He was just thinking out loud I think.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Would the wheel hub issue also cause vibration through the steering wheel, and in the foot well?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Car in garage today but wrong part sent out so new part not here until Monday. Is it normal for a hub to need changed at 35000 miles?