Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ford transit connect 1.8L [1753] diesel panel van manual

ford transit connect 1.8L [1753] diesel panel van manual 2008
I changed the turbo air inlet pipe and the engine now fires but will not run. I noticed that the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler is being sucked in when the engine fires.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 7 months ago.
Hi there good morning To you and sorry for the delayed response
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist/ offer you advice you to todayOk was this the hose work between the turbo and air filter that was replaced
What happens when you remove this pipe and try and Rev the vehicleRegards Brian
Also was the vehicle fine previous to replacing this pipe
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the pipe was between the turbo and air filter. When I remove the pipe and rev the engine it revs up but on low revs.

Was the vehicle ok prior to replacing this pipe ie revved up ok

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the vehicle was running fine before.

Hi thanks

Ok there is two things that can cause this issue

1 ,an collapsed air filter causing poor or no air intake

2 ,a faulty turbo

Also ensure the flap on the inlet manifold isn't holding the butterfly flap shut

The reason the hoses are sucked in is because the system goes into a vacuum due to a blockage somewhere in the intake or turbo

This is commonly caused by a faulty turbo (not spinning )

Does the turbo impeller spin at idle

Does it rotate freely by hand when engine is off

I have also seen this caused by a rag etc being sucked Into the turbo ( a technician left a rag near the air inlet and started the vehicle up the rag was then sucked into the turbo (remove the outlet pipe to inspect nothing is jammed. In there

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know

If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a day

Brian

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can I check the turbo spins without removing the turbo?

Hi there

Yes just remove the intake pipe and look inward to the turbo Intake side impeller (remove air filter box )

Kind regards Brian

Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE