Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I am about to purchase a ford focus 1.6 TDci Zetec Econetic

I am about to purchase a ford focus 1.6 TDci Zetec Econetic 2012 with 31,000 miles on the clock, have the potential problems with the DPF filter been sorted out by Ford and what do you recommend to minimise any possible problems. How long before the filter clogs up? should I be worried.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

problems with the DPF all stem from a lack of hard use

if your driving regime is lots of tickling around town then yes you may encounter issues with DPF's clogging up

however this does take quite a while to happen usually over 25K miles

so if this car hasn't been driven hard on a motorway or A road then yes it may have issues

but all it takes to keep it working correctly is the occasional tank of high quality fuel and some hard work to get the temperatures up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
an occasional run on the motorway will stop or reduce problems. High quality fuel means low sulphur?
Hard work means over 40mph for 15 minutes? or longer?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

you have it, hard work need to be running at around 50mph+ for at least 15 mins once a week or more

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the filter cleaners that are advertised and do you recommended one.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

the DPF cleaners are well worth a go

and I'd try this one by forte

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=nav_cs_help/253-5757518-2394338?ie=UTF8&nodeId=471044

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks I will buy some and have it on hand.