Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Fortunately I was driving slowly when I felt a few drops of

Fortunately I was driving slowly when I felt a few drops of water on my left foot. About half a minute later my car did an emergency stop all by itself and froze. I turned the ignition off and it restarted normally. My mechanic can't find anything wrong. Any ideas? It really shook me up and I don't feel confident. It was dry and sunny at the time. Luckily it was a quiet Sunday in a country lane with no traffic around. What if I had been on a motorway!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 7 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your e mail. As I didn't hear from you earlier today I have had to make other arrangements to find an answer.
Would you please refund the money I paid. Thank you.
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 7 months ago.

Hi there , good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist/ offer you advice you to today

do you still require assistance with this issue

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
please. I have booked an appointment with a Ford specialist but they can't see it before 2nd Sept.

Hi there and sorry for the delayed response

Ok your stop/start concern lies with the battery state of charge (SOC)

This is nothing to do with the battery condition itself

The battety SOC is a calculation(algorithm ) that is carried out by the BCMii to determine the SOC

There is a sensor on the negative terminal of the battety called the battery monitoring Sensor

This takes temperature /charging voltage /time into considerstion the BCMii then used the data and calculates the SOC of the battery

If the SOC is below 72% the stop start will not function

This can be checked using the ford ids diagnostic computer

You will find yours will be in or around this region

We find that vehicles that do short cold journeys are more prone to a lower SOC

(This is something I deal with on a daily basis )

In regards ***** ***** temperature issue impacting the stop /start this is doing what it should do (in a way I will describe further down the post )

Basically the BCMii sees a voltage drop and then says to itself it doesn't need the stop start as there are more important functions that are needed

An example is that if the vehicle has stopped at a junction and the engine cuts out and you press the heated screen button it will start up immediately as it sees a more important task than the stop start

This system is very complex and clever

There is also a self test for the stop start that lets you know it's working but sonething is inhibiting it most commonly the SOC is below 72%

Back to the temperature issue although it's the correct operation ford have released software updates for the BCMii and HVAC modules to widen the parameters and allow further temperature fluctuations (these updates can only be done using fords ids )

In most cases with low SOC we deep cycle charge the battery in place overnight this brings the SOC up to around 96%

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you are satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a day

Brian

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was not asking about the stop/start function although this does not often kick in. It is the fact that I was driving normally when the car suddenly immobilized totally. It just emergency stopped by itself and the engine was stopped. I turned off the ignition and it restarted normally. I dread to think what would have happened had I been on a motorway. Are you saying this could be a fault with the stop/start function? Surely a car should not just freeze when one is driving along normally! Very frightening!
Sorry if I have misunderstood.

Hi there Iam very sorry that post was for one of my other customers I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused

Ok do you know if any fault codes were logged in the PCM

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My local garage plugged it into their machine and nothing showed. It hasn't happened again but I am understandably nervous that it might! They have no idea where the few drops of water that fell on my left foot came from. I feel it must be connected somehow as it has never happened before. Surely if there was a fault the car would stop gradually or a warning light would come on? It just stopped dead!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My mechanic wondered if it was to do with the immobiliser but he can't check that so that is why I have booked it into another garage.

Ok I have seen a few cases over the last while where by customers are complaining of a sudden cutting out concept as if someone has turned the key off

With immediate restart possible

The isdue seems to be a flirtation isdue within the camshaft sensor causing a loss of the camshaft signal leading to an immediate cutting out concern

Ford have released a modified sensor with better filters toon properties to combat this intermitent concern

This commonly logs a fault code p0016 (with no description after the code )

Some smaller scanners may not pick this code up this why fords ids diagnostic equipment is more suitable with faults like this

Regarding your water drop concern this could be moisture droplets from the air con evaporator being blown off and into the drivers footwell (if fitted with air con )

Obiviosky it's more difficult to diagnose this type of issue online due to its nature but I would suspect a loss of signal issue to cause this sudden cutting out

This wont have anything to do with the Immobilsor

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue going forward even after you have visted garage please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you (this post won't close )

If you have been satisfied this far with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a day

Brian

Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE