Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 2011 Ford mondoe 2.0 petrol. when the car has run

I have a 2011 Ford mondoe 2.0 petrol. when the car has run for a while the engine idles rough and when you depress the accelerator there is either a lag or no acceleration it also sometimes cuts out when turning corners at slow speed. You then try and start and it won't turn over but after a couple of goes it starts.
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: If sitting in traffic there is a lag response to the throttle being depressed and this is enhance if on an incline when sometimes you have to depress the clutch again to stop it from stalling and overrun the engine to ensure that it pulls away albeit slowly
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 11 months ago.

Hi there , good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist/ offer you advice you to today

Ok does the idle sit high after starting car up or pulling up at a junction

Or is it an uneven idle

Does the vehicle hesitate /hold back when accelerating or is it just feel down on power

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Initially in the morning the car starts fine and idles okay.
Runs okay then warms up and the issues start.
The acceleration is both hesitant and down on power i.e. 40mph in 4th gear put foot flat to floor and there is no acceleration just gradual build up.
Sometimes puled up at traffic lights go to pull off and depress accelerator and engine revs sit at idle the they either gradually build up and car moves off slowly or they will just kick in
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When operating in cruise control mode on incline the speed will drop also when trying to pull off on incline there feels like a complete lack of power from the engine so much so you have to depress the clutch to stop it from stalling

Hi there thanks

Ok is this a 2.0 ecoboost (if you have your registration numver I can clarify this

Has any fault code checks been carried out

Does this feel like fuel starvation

Does it drive ok sometimes then just dies then power returns

Kind regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No its the duratec
it had fault code 0402 last week changed the 02 sensor no reactivation of fault code.
Ive also changed the plugs, coil packs no difference.
This fault has been evident for at least the last 18 months, Been into fords 3 times, independent ford specialist and my local garage several times no one can sue out the issue this is my last resort before the car gets binned. Ford said it was a blocked cat changed that no difference.
Just wondering if it is a common durance problem or not
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ecu's been checked no fault
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no vacuum leak
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sorry ls11duy

Hi there thanks

Ok the fault code p0402 is an EGR flow restriction code

Has the EGR valve been checked as this would cause your symptoms for it was staying open allowing too much exhaust gases into the combustion chamber

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks
would that problem get gradually worse as the engine gets hotter and it hasn't thrown that code again?

Hi there yes it would impact the performance as it gets hotter

In most cases where EGR valves are suspected I make a blanking plate to match the gasket thus doing away with the EGR valve completely and stopping any gases from entering the combustion chamber

I have blanked a 2.0 duratec one off as of yet as it may be more tricky as its bolted straight to the side of the cylinder head and gas coolant Galleries on it but it's worth stripping it off and attempting to blank the ports for the gases off as this will rule this out as a possible cause

Your fault code and symptoms ie no accelerator response all indicate a faulty valve basically the excess exhaust gas chokes the engine

Also i assume the air intake pipe between the air filter and throttle body has been checked as these are prone to splitting causing A lean mixture due to undetected air entering the engine

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
throttle body and air intake all checkedThanksIll get onto that this afternoon

Hi there no worries

If you need any further assistance or future help with your Mondeo please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

Kindest regards ***** ***** a nice day

Brian