Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a ford focus convertible & the rear lights in the

Customer Question

Hi I have a ford focus convertible & the rear lights in the boot hatch, reversing lights & reversing sensors have all stopped working, however the rear brake light in the boot hatch is still working. Do you have any idea what could be causing this.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 months ago.

Hi there Tony , good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist/ offer you advice you to today

Do you still require assistance with this concern

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi BrianAre you still there

Yes do you have the registration numver there so I can pull up the Wiring diagram

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
MJ58 VCG

Hi thanks give me a few minutes to look the through the diagram and I'll post back

Brian

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have also just remembered that I removed the boot catch switch as it wasn't working is this likely to have caused the problem, the boot still operates via the key.

Hi there thanks

Ok the small switch in the rear got the boot sliding cover is only for the roof operation

Ok the most common caus of your concern is a faulty reversing light switch

This is screwed into the top of the gearbox

When you select reverse this sends a feed to the gem module which in turn sends power to the reversing lamps

The first check is to inspect fuse 141(10 amp ) (red ) in the fuse box in the passengers footwell

If this fuse is ok then the issue will be the reverse light switch

The reverse switch you will need is ford part number -(###) ###-####and costs £12.61+ vat

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Tony going forward please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you are satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a day

Any postive feedback /bonuses are kindly appreciated

Brian

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
HiI can see that a faulty reversing light switch would stop the reversing lights from working but the tail lights in the boot are also not working and the the fuse is ok.

Hi there sorry it didn't mention tail lights in your post

Is it both sides that are inoperative

Do the front side lights work

Regards Brian

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I turn the lights on all the lights on the front of the car work fine, all the lights in the rear wings work fine but the only light in the boot hatch that works in the brake light, all the others do not work.

Hi thanks

Ok the inner side lights are hard wired together with the outer ones and don't show any connectors joining them

So it would be worth checking incase this is just bulbs that have went

Also the reverse lights run through a totally different circuit to the side lights so are not connected

You say the boot switch was removed was this dissconected or completely removed

Did both these faults happen at the same time

Regards Brian

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All the rear bulbs are fine I have checked them, the mechanical boot switch that you operate manually by hand was not working, so I removed the rubber cover to investigate why it was not working. Having done this I found that I could not get the rubber cover back on without removing a large panel, which I have not been able to remove.However as the boot switch still operates electronically via the key I decided to leave the cover off with the mechanical part of the switch removed until I could work out how to remove the panel.I am not sure whether or not all the lights failed at the same time, it was the fact that the reversing sensors were not working that led me to finding the problem with the lights.

Hi there thanks

Ok I would advise checking the reverse light switch first incase we have two different faults

If you pull the 2 pin multiplugs off the reverse light switch and bridge the 2 pins together with the ignition on to see if the reverse lamps operate

Regarding the side lights we must have a wiring issue between the inner and outer lights as these share the same power supply but just splice off to the rear inner lamps

And as the outer ones work we know the power supply is ok

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have read your reply and would just like to confirm, when you say the inner and outer lights do you mean the wing lights & boot lights.

Hi there

Yes on the diagram it doesn't show a connector between the wing lights (that house the outer brake light ) and the inner (liftgate ) light assembly

I expected to see a connector but there is only a splice joint joining outer and inner side lights

Thus the wiring would need to be inspected (I can give you further wiring information if required ie: colours/PIN numbers

Kind regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi could you please forward the wiring colours & pin numbers to help me investigate the fault, or a copy of the wiring diagram if available.ThanksTony

Hi tony

I have attached 3 images of the diagrams for the rear tail lights and the reverse lights

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian