Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a Ford Kuga (59 plate). The built in sat nav system

I have a Ford Kuga (59 plate).
The built in sat nav system doesn't work - the screen shows the car moving but the map is of Germany (I live in the UK)! The problem came on suddenly and no seemingly related to any other issues.
I'm wondering if it is the GPS system/transmitter?
Any advice gratefully accepted.
Martin
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to say the radio and reversing camera screen are all ok and the touchscreen is fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was also wondering what the cost might be too for repairing?
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Martin good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response ,
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you todayOk the most common cause of your sat nav concern is a faulty GPS antenna (this is part of the Aieral base )
The GPS system needs to find a minimum of 6 satellites to operate correctly
Yours will be find between 0-2
Thus not operating correctlyYou can check this in the sat nav menu or by holding nav+ menu and going to GPS informationThe GPS antenna is powered by 5 volts from the audio unit (it's very rare for the audio unit to be the issue and is far more commonly a faulty antenna
From memory these gos antennas are around £45 from ford
However on some earlier vehicles the external GPS antenna is now nut avaiable and is modified by an internal one to combat moisture ingress
Thus however requires extra cables and parts to complement fitment of the internal antenna
there is a bit more cost involved if this is the case
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Martin please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you
If you are satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER
Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a day
Any positive feedback / bonuses are kindly appreciatedBrian