Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

My son's ford focus mk2 is having problems starting and all

Hi, My son's ford focus mk2 is having problems starting and all the dash lights come on. He has to turn the key several times to start, we have had the breakdown service come out and did a diagnostics and the error code U0001, 'high speed can bus' came up. My son recently had a 'black box' fitted for his insurance, would this be the cause of the problem.
David
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 8 months ago.

Hi there David good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response ,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you today

Does the red Immobilsor light flash rapidly when this fault happens

Has this only occurred since the box was fitted

Is this an erractic intermitent fault

Does the steering assist failure or transmission failure messages appear

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Brian,
It was an intermittent fault to begin with but it is now persistent, the car looses speed over 30mph, all the dash lights come on and is harder to start.
Dvaid
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
are you there?

Hi there David thanks

Ok ideally we would want the blank box disconnected first as it may be impacting the high speed can bus depending on where it is wired to

But most commonly your fault is caused by a loss of communication between the pcm and cluster

The fault can be the cluster , the pcm or the 2 CAN. Bus wires between them

from your description of the issue I would strongly suspect a faulty instrument cluster (I don't believe in sending these for repair as I have in the past only for it to be the route cause of the fault

This seems to be more common on the early 1.6 petrol Varients for some reason

The instrument cluster is the gateway between the high and mid speed can bus communications systems (data network )

This can systems controls the various electronic control components of the vehicle

I have personally diagnosed many of these cluster issues with the exact same symptoms as yours

Customers think how can the cluster cause this issue because it's just a cluster but in reality the cluster is a complex module that exchanges high speed data with several other modules connected on the can bus system and is also the main Immobilsor compinent

The fault with these clusters seems to be an internal breakdown of the can bus system (connection issues on the circuit board )

In my experience of this fault I would suspect an internal cluster fault

I always carry out a network test with the fault present to see if the cluster speaks to the diagnostic tester

We find the cluster doesn't communicate but the pcm does (this rules out all wiring between the dlc plug and pcm thus leaving the cluster as the only component left

You can fit second hand clusters but they must be programmed to the Immobilsor and pcm and the mileage can only be changed if it's lower than your original mileage

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue David please let me know

If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Brian

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Brian,
Would the cluster problem be most likely to be an electrical power connection issue and cause the starting and power loss problems.
David
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hello

Sorry for the delay David Iam having connection issues today

No the cluster issue is an internal cluster issue or can bus failure as its known

This is indicated by a no crank isdue and flashing Immobilsor light

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Brian,
One last question, if there was a faulty battery or terminal connection would this cause the same problems and symptoms.
David

Hi David

very low battery voltage can bring on the Immobilsor fault but its very common for the cluster to be the issue caused by an internal circuit board issue

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Brian,
What do we define as the instrument cluster, is it just the cluster behind the steering wheel or does it include the whole instrument on the dash panel incuding the radio,air con etc.
David

Hi David

Ok the instrument cluster is the complete component behind the steering wheel

I have attached an image to show you more clearly

I have also attached an image of the part number (try and match your cluster if possible )

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Hi David

Did you receive my images

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did, many thanks
David