Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

My engine has failed and mechanics have found water in all

Customer Question

My engine has failed and mechanics have found water in all cylinders above the pistons - what is the likely cause of this and can lack of servicing ie oil and filter change be to blame?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 months ago.

Hi there good evening to you and sorry for the delayed response ,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you today

Ok do you have your full registration number there

I assume the vehicle over heat and will not start now

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
FP62 LRN
You assume correctly
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There were no dashboard alerts/warnings and no rise in temperature shown on gauge

Hi there thanks and sorry for the delayed response

Ok this is something we see quite commonly on the 1.0 ecoboost Varient

The main cause if this issue is a loss of coolant either suddenly or overtime

These engines run hot very quickly due to the exodus manifold bring part of the cylinder head and small overall size of the complete engine

If there is a case of low coolant on these engines the head/block warp easily due to them being aluminium

As soon as this happens the coolant enters the cylinders causing a non start issue

I wouldn't advise stripping /inspecting this ecoboost engine as the damage is skready done sbd in each case I have Seen over the years i have had to replace the complete engine

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you are satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening

Any positive feedback / bonuses are kindly appreciated

Brian

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But if the coolant level was checked regularly ie at the correct level in the expansion tank and not dropping and no hoses were split/leaking at the time of failure, how could this happen?

Hi there

Has the engine area been checked for any evidence of coolant leak

There is a few points where leak occur the most common being a hair line crack in the turbo coolant plastic pipe at the very front of the engine bay between the coolant resivoir and turbo inspect this closely as the split can be hard to see

Other areas are the rear of the timing cover this is usally noticable if coolant stains are on the air con compressor

These Eco boost engines don't fail for no reason this issue will have been caused by lack of coolant

I have seen these vehicles have a coolant leak ie: previous and then return ie: 3 moths later with this issue (coolant in the bores ) the cylinder head and block are so small and due to the aluminium material warp easily when overheating occurs

I have replaced many 1.0 Eco boost engines for the same concern now to check this I only remove the spark plugs and turn it over and see the coolant come out of the bores (thus indicating a new engine )

You can strip this and attempt repair ie: head gasket etc but I personally think you will need to replace the engine as has been the case with each one I have seen

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Brian

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I note you say you have said you have replaced many Ecoboost engines for the same concern - would you not agree that the engines do not appear to be durable ?
Hi there
The only concern I have replaced these engines for is for loss of coolant overheating causing the engine to warp thus letting coolant into the bores
Ford modified the turbo hose as this was the main cause of these engines failing /overheatingThe engine itself is a great durable engine as we have seen no other issues
As I mentioned i suspect it is due to the size of the engine and how quick they get hot that this issue arrisesKindest regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry to labour this query but could it not be that the engine, particularly around the internal exhaust manifold is so hot as you say, that coolant in that area is evaporating and then some cooler coolant water hits this area and hot metal and cooler water would not seem to be good bedfellows, something will crack......................

Hi there good evening to you

No coolant won't evaporate in this area or any part of the engine as you suggest

I have seen cracks in the exhaust valve port but again it was for to low coolant levels causing excessive heat in the smell engine

The overheating is the only concern I have seen on these engines that causes any issues other wise they are very robust

And reliable

Have you had the vehicle from new and is there any coolant stains on the engine area or hairline cracks in the plastic pipes as your vehicle doesn't start now it makes it more difficult to check for leaks

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for all your responses so far. Could I just go back to a point I raised initially in that could a missed service ie oil and filter change be the reason for this failure ?

Hi there No worries

Ok a poor service history wouldn't impact the cooling system causing overheating

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will a new Ford replacement engine have a different engine number to the one it's replacing meaning V5C will need to be changed?