Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Car is a Ford -Max Zetec first registered June 2013. There

Customer Question

Car is a Ford B-Max Zetec first registered June 2013. There have been a few problems none of which have been finely sorted. Just get byes. We have had to jump start the car a few times. This time the engine stopped whilst on the way home, 12 mile journey. Prior to stopping the steering became heavy at times, the electric windows would not work and the airbag warning came on. In trying to restart the engine there were various clicks from what sounded like a relay. The power had not completely failed as I was able to open the boot to get the jump leads out. Yes we have had so many failures that we carry jump leads. The engine started straight away using the jump leads. The last time this happened the garage in Kirkwall checked everything out and could find nothing wrong, even the battery checked out OK. The reliability is getting rather sickening.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 months ago.

Hi there good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to offer you technical assistance with your concern

Ok your concern is caused by the alternator failing to sufficiently charge the battery

The alternator charges the battery when driving st around 14.4 volts (this can vary in due to the smart charge system )

The issue is nothing to do with the battery as this fault happened when you were driving

The fact you lost your steering indicates the battery voltage dropped below 10.5 volts as the EPS(Electronic Power Steering ) always seems to drop out first followed by the air bag module

To resolve this issue the alternator needs to be tested (this can sometimes be an intermittent charging issue ) where by a if the case a decision needs to be made and the I would advise the alternator be replaced as you said this hasn't being resolved previously

If you need anymore help or advice on issue please let me know If you have been completely satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE REMEMBER RATE MY ANSWER as this helps build my online profile

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Any positive feedback is kindly appreciated

Brian

Hi there good morning to youHow did you get on with our issueKindest regards ***** *****
Brian