Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a problem with my Mondeo 2010 2.0 diesel (163). The

Customer Question

Hi, I have a problem with my Mondeo 2010 2.0 diesel (163). The consumption measured by miles driven and amount of fuel pumped in is way higher than the one shown on computer by 15-20% and "engine fault" message pops out along with engine power cut when in higher gears and low revs and press acceleration pedal (when torque needed) AA roadside assistance found error codes P000284, P009300, P009400 which would suggest some kind of leak/loss of pressure in fuel system. I had the car in local garage and they changed some pressure valve but did not solve problem. Do you have any idea what the problem might be. Thanks Jacob
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just to add the car has done just below 100k
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hello Jacob

If you haven't already it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
It may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.
Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.
If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi thanks for reply. The fuel filter was myy next step anyway as few people said this may solve the problem with low pressure/leak error message. However as my main reason of buying diesel car was low running cost and at the moment the consumption is higher than on my petrol fiesta this is something that bothers me a lot. After reading lots of forums my guess would be faulty vaporizer on dpf filter. Unfortunately I can't find any specific explanation how this works and if this may develop fault to actualy constantly leak fuel which would be instantly burned and therefore derogate fuel consumption.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

its possible that if the vaporiser was on all the time then yes this would give excessive fuel consumption, however its not a common fault

if you pull fuse F9 in the engine bay fusebox then this should disable it?

also check for binding brakes, check that all the wheels can be turned freely by hand, and free off any sticking calipers

Incorrect wheel alignment:

Check all the tyres for signs of uneven wear if it has any then get it checked out at a place that does 4 wheel alignment not just front tracking and ensure tyres are pumped up to their recommended maximum

Injectors are clean and not dribbling - add a bottle of injector cleaner to the tank

Use good quality fuel - from my own findings its worth paying the extra for BP or shell as typically you'll get another 10% fuel saving which outweighs the cost over supermarket fuel.