Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I recently rebuilt my Mk7 transit using a Ford Short Motor.

I recently rebuilt my Mk7 transit using a Ford Short Motor. The reason was that it was smoking heavily to the point that it would run on its own out of control due to oil in the air system. Since the rebuild it has started smoking badly again and I am at a loss as to what could be causing this... Injector seals, cracked head? help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet, however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve

. If this is all OK then its possible that the valve stem seals are past their best and are drip-feeding oil into the intake. These can be replaced without removing the head by a competent garage in half a day or so

Also check inside the intake just after the turbo for any signs of oil as this would be an indication that the turbo oil seal is starting to fail and a replacement / rebuilt turbo may well be required. Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Matt, where is this valve located. I have looked for a replacement online and there is little mention of it. The only reference I can find says it is out of stock. Can it be cleaned. by the way before I re-built the engine the intercooler, its pipework and the whole breather system was choked with oil... liquid not residue.
Steve
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hello Steve

if you look on the inlet pipe work just before the turbo there should be a spigot on that pipe to attach to another pipe

and that pipe should run back to the cylinder block

on the block see the image

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Matt,That does not look anything like my Transit Mk7 2.2 Duratorq Engine at all. Are we talking about the same vehicle?Steve
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Sorry

this manual should be better

http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/transit_2006.5_04.2006/mechanical_repairs/3_powertrain/303_engine/303-12_intake_air_distribution_and_filtering/description_and_operation/diagnosis_and_testing/removal_and_installation/air_cleaner_2.2l_duratorq-tdci_(puma)_diesel/