Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Have been offered a Galaxy at good price, but has a few

Hi, Have been offered a Galaxy at good price, but has a few problems. Wanted to check if faults were insurmountable before I commit to buy.
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: Its in the question. Ford Galaxy 2.3 Automatic Petrol 2005. Thats all I have.
Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Normal consumption. No problems starting.
Assistant: What year is your Ford?
Customer: Are you using up the question allocation. I've said it twice 2005
Assistant: No. I'm the Ford Mechanic's Assistant. Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ok. I'm a bit confused here, Have just said I have not bought the vehicle yet therefore have not tried anything.
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

hello

real person here, rather than the questions robot

can you tell me what issues the car has?

as you may know the galaxy doesn't have the best reputation - especially for electrical issues

also how many miles are on the car

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, dont have that much info. Have you seen the original question with the issues as reported to me. Car belongs to a friend and I'm confident he has told me truthfully of any problems.
I've owned Galaxies in the past so know them fairly well but must admit I'm usually stumped on electrical issues.
Not sure about mileage, but would imagine normal 12k pa average.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm getting ready for work at the moment. I'll come back to computer from time to time until I leave.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Original question was:
Friend has offered Galaxy 2.3 Automatic Petrol 2005 which he no longer needs at very good price. But has a few problems. He is no mechanic and thought you may be able to give me any info on the following:
Radiator top up tank has minor leak. (this one I can probably solve myself)No 4th gear: hesays the garage cleaned this up and changed the sensor but still not working, any idea what this could be?Thottle pedal often fails: His garage says a wiring problem between Throttle pedal and UCR Box. No idea about this, too technical for me.Anything you can tell me about the above would be very very useful
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

OK if there's no top gear I'd 1st plug the car into a ford scan tool to see if the gearbox is in limp home or has another fault as top will be locked out in limp home. its possibly low fluid level but sounds like this would have been checked

Pedal position sensor - The pedal position sensor is located on the gas pedal. There are usually three wires used to determine the pedal position, a 5 volt reference supplied by the PCM/ECM, ground, and sensor signal. A factory wiring diagram will be necessary to determine which wire is used. Make sure the connection is secure and there are no loose wires in the harness.
Check for good ground using a digital volt ohm meter (DVOM) set to the ohms scale by connecting one lead to the ground at the sensor connector and the other to chassis ground - resistance should be very low. Check for 5 volts reference voltage from the PCM by using the DVOM set to volts scale with the positive lead at the wiring harness connector and the negative lead on a known good ground with the key in the run or on position .Check for reference voltage using the DVOM set to volts scale with the red lead on the reference signal and the negative lead on a good known ground with the key in the run / on position - the signal voltage should increase as the throttle pedal is pushed down further.
Typically the voltage ranges between 0.5 volts with the pedal not pressed and 4.5 volts at wide open throttle position. It may be necessary to check the signal voltage at the PCM as well to determine if there is a voltage difference between the sensor and what the PCM is reading. The position sensor signal should also be checked with a graphing multimeter or oscilloscope to determine if the voltage increases smoothly with no dropouts throughout the entire range of motion. If an advanced scan tool is available, the positions sensor is usually displayed as a percentage of desired throttle input, make sure the desired value is similar to the actual pedal position.

there's also a bunch of recalls so ensure that these have been carried out

1996 (April '96-July '96): check for overheating of brake system.

1996 (2-litre with air-conditioning -Jan '95-Feb '96): air conditioning compressor may seize up.

1997 (built Jan '96-Apr '97): check optional child seats.

13-1-2000: 80,000 Galaxys, Alhambras and Sharans VIN TV000001 to YV509825 recalled to check for contamination of brake fluid through master cylinder vent. Brake master cylinders of older cars to be replaced.

23-5-2001: Build dates 1-1-1994 to 5-11-1999 2.0 litre and 2.3 litre petrol models with a/c: when engine rocks the fuel feed and return line may hit the a/c low pressure suction pipe, eventually leading to abraded fuel lines. Fuel lines to be inspected and replaced as necessary and spacer clips to be fitted to all.

6-10-2003: 7,866 Galaxys VINS.....2R to .....3T recalled because wiring for curtain airbags may be transposed. Check and if necessary fit wiring adaptor. TSB at some time between 2005/2006 to replace faulty dual mass flywheels on post 2001 TDIs. 25/04/2006R/2006/034 FORDGALAXYflywheel may fail build dates 01/11/200231/08/2003

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Matt. This will all take a while to sink in, but I am further ahead now.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm a bit confused about the charges. I initially paid £19. Then was told I had to pay an additional £24 to speak to you. This extra was not mentioned when I began the enquiry
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

Don't worry about it

that additional charge is for a phone call

you're under no obligation to take that up and we can continue on here

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Matt, I just got in from work and seen your email. Will verify price and leave feed back as soon as I finish with 'kitchen duties'. I've decided not to buy the Galaxy, although offered at very good price. If I were a mechanic it would definitely be worth my while, but sadly when I went to school, girls didn't do that sort of thing haha.