Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

We bought our Ford Transit Connect 14 months ago, Just had

We bought our Ford Transit Connect 14 months ago, Just had 97,000 mile service 3 weeks ago but now having just used the heater for the first time in months there is no hot air coming out. We have now gone over the 100,000 mile marker a week or so ago and now this puts us out of warranty! The van has had regular 20,000 mile services with Ford. The van has been in the garage since Tues and so far they have done a pressure coolant test and an ERG test, both inconclusive. They are talking about stripping the engine down which will cost over £1000 and then if they find the source of the leak it may have warped the engine and we will then need to replace it. Should this have been picked up on our last service? as this has most likely been going on for a few months. Is this a common problem with the Ford Connect? My husband drives the van for his business and has driven the van with respect over the last 14 months, never going over 2000 revs. We didn't think we would be replacing the engine so soon and think this has got to be some mechanical failure with the vehicle.
Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: The hoses have never been replaced. 90% motorway driving
Assistant: Are you fixing your Transit Connect yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It remains in the garage and I have been speaking to Ford direct and have been given a case manager who said she will only be able to give us a decision on whether they can help us out with the costs, but not until the final diagnosis which will be over £1000, in which case if they then decide to not cover us we will be forking out around 6-7K to replace the engine
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Basically we want to know does it seem that something mechanically is wrong with the engine in that it is not our fault or whether this can happen after high mileage.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

if the coolant leak has occured inside the engine , ie. a cracked cylinder head then yes this can be counted as a mechanical fault and you may be able to get a contribution from Ford

however if the coolant leak is down to a corroded radiator or split hose or something more mundane then its likely that they may claim its just 'wear & tear'

its also possible that the engine may be OK ? It depends on how much coolant is left in the engine

if its been run dry then yes its possibly destroyed

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
many thanks for your reply which is most helpful.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

no problem

if the engine isn't damaged an still runs OK and you're stuck with it then if the leak is an internal one I've had good results in the past with this product to seal it all up

http://www.kalimex.co.uk/our-products/k-seal

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks Matt. Fingers crossed all is ok but we are hoping that Ford will be off assistance in covering the costs of the current diagnostic testing that is to be carried out to find the root of the problem as this will be over £1000Thanks
Andrea
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

I'd say its well worth speaking to Ford customer service too

their number is 0203(###) ###-####/strong>

Expert:  Matt replied 24 days ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you